Today I’m teaming up with Porch and a group of fabulous bloggers to share 7 Creative Ways to Decorate with String Lights! You know we all have them laying around somewhere and so I hope you find inspiration to put them to some good use!
I decided to create this trendy and fun faux neon cactus light for our home or even the patio area! Because I chose to use battery operated string lights, I don’t have to worry about placing it wherever a plug happens to be. And let’s be honest, it’s never convenient anyway! I love this playful addition to our space!
- Plywood Board (precut or you can simply cut to size using a table saw)
- String Lights
1. Sand your plywood board to get rid of any rough edges. Wipe clean. Using your pencil, sketch out your cactus.
2. Paint the outline of your cactus using a bright and vivid green. Allow to dry completely.
3. Begin hammering in your nails along the outline of your cactus, just enough to get the proper shape of your cactus.
4. Begin to wrap your string lights around the nails until you have full coverage – I used two packs of string lights.
5. Optional: Using a forester drill bit, you can drill a hole and then cut off the end halfway through the hole. This will allow the wires to be easily hidden and tucked behind the board.
7. Display and enjoy!
This would be a great little light for your patio area during those warm summer nights, a fun lighting option for the living room or even a playful nightlight for the kids room! The options are endless and it’s so easy to create! The sky is the limit, you can choose any shape or image you want.
What do you think of this option using stringlights?! For more ideas, be sure to check out the following blogs for some great ideas too: