Do Deer Eat Petunias? Are Petunias Deer Resistant? Find out the answers and more in this informative article!
‘Do Deer Eat Petunias?’ is a frequently asked question among gardening circles. If you also have the same query in your mind, read this article to know the answer and some tips to prevent deer from browsing on petunias.
Do Deer Eat Dahlias? Find Out here
What Are Petunias?
Petunia (Petunia hybrida) is an annual flowering plant that belongs to the nightshade family. This summer bloomer offers funnel-shaped flowers in shades of pink, purple, blue, yellow, orange, white, and red. It also features fragrant, lush green leaves in well-drained soil.
Do Deer Eat Petunias? | Are Petunias Deer Resistant?
Deer are known to graze on various garden plants, and unfortunately, petunias are not deer-resistant. If these voracious eaters are around, they might nibble on petunias, especially when the preferred food sources are scarce.
How To Keep Deer From Eating Petunias?
If deer browsing is a common problem in your area, then use the below prevention tips to protect your petunias from these creatures:
- Fencing – A fence is an excellent option to keep protect petunias from deer. For this, install a wire or wooden boards fence at least 8 feet high around your garden. Make sure to bury a portion of the fence underground to prevent deer from digging underneath.
- Repellents – Create homemade repellent by mixing an equal amount of crushed garlic and hot pepper in sufficient water. Spray the prepared mix around the petunias, and you’re good to go.
- Grow Aromatic Plants – Consider planting aromatic herbs in your garden, such as rosemary, sage, mint, and thyme that repels deer. These plants are a natural way to avoid these voracious creatures.
- Motion-Activated Sprinklers – Install motion-activated sprinklers to keep deer far away from your favorite plants.
- Noise Makers – Use wind chimes or other noise-making devices to create an unsettling environment for deer in the garden.
- Cleanliness – Regularly remove fallen leaves or petals from the yard because a tidy garden is less attractive to deer. Also, keep petunias well-trimmed.
Other Animals That Eat Petunias
Besides deer, petunias are also threatened by these creatures:
- Rabbits: These small herbivores are known for nibbling on various plants, including petunias.
- Groundhogs: Also called woodchucks, groundhogs are notorious for damaging petunia gardens.
- Dogs and Cats: Domesticated pets might occasionally show interest in petunias when they’re curious or bored. You can change this behavior by training and supervision.
- Birds: Some bird species, like sparrows or finches, occasionally peck at petunia flowers or disturb the soil around them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do Deer Eat Petunia Flowers?
Yes, deer can nibble on the dainty flowers of petunias. These garden favorites are vulnerable to deer, especially in areas where their preferred food is limited.
2. Do Deer Like Petunias?
Deer don’t have a particular preference for petunias. Even these plants are not at the top of their menu. In environments where deer have limited natural food options, petunias become a target due to their soft, easily digestible foliage and colorful flowers.
Do Deer Eat Zinnias? Find Out here