Ammonia is an excellent rabbit, skunk, raccoon, and coyotes deterrent. But Does Ammonia Repel Snakes? Read on to know more!
Ammonia is a versatile and easily accessible household chemical that bust grease, gives streak-free shine on glass, and even banishes pests. It’s also used by gardeners to keep wild animals at bay. But Does Ammonia Repel Snakes? Let’s find out!
Learn how to get rid of groundhogs with ammonia here
Does Ammonia Repel Snakes?
Ammonia is an excellent snake deterrent thanks to its potent scent. Serpents have a keen sense of smell. When they encounter the strong, pungent urine-like odor of ammonia, they associate it with a predator and choose to avoid the area. This is why ammonia is an effective snake repellent, as it creates a barrier that makes the space less attractive to serpents.
How to Use Ammonia to Repel Snakes?
Before using these snake-repellent recipes, make sure to read the precautions first.
#1 DIY Ammonia Snake Deterrent Spray
- 3 Cups of Household Ammonia
- 1/2 Cup of Tap Water
- 1 Teaspoon of Liquid Dish Soap
- Medium-Sized Mixing Bowl
- Garden Sprayer
- A Small Funnel
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Next, transfer the solution into the garden sprayer and shake well to mix.
- Spritz the solution around the perimeter of your property and in any areas where you have seen snakes.
- Reapply the solution every day or after heavy rainfall.
#2 Homemade Snake Repellent Hack
- One Cup of Household Ammonia
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- Old Clothes Pieces
- Zip Lock Bags
- Large Bowl
- First, combine the ammonia and water in a large bowl.
- Next, submerge the pieces of cloth in the prepared solution.
- After that, put the ammonia-soaked clothes pieces in the zip lock bags, but don’t close the bags.
- Once you’re done, place the bags strategically around the holes and where you notice snake activity.
- Replace the clothes pieces every day.
Note-If you have a snake problem that you can’t seem to resolve using ammonia, contact a professional for help.
Safety Precautions When Using Ammonia
When using ammonia, follow these safety precautions to avoid exposure mishaps:
- Wear protective gear- Ammonia is a toxic and caustic substance, that’s why it’s important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask or respirator while handling this chemical.
- Avoid mixing ammonia with other chemicals- Never combine ammonia with chlorine bleach or other household cleaning products, as this can produce dangerous toxic fumes.
- Use with caution: Ammonia can cause serious health problems if ingested, inhaled, or splashed in the eyes. Be careful when applying it, and avoid spilling it on yourself or others. If you do get ammonia on your skin, rinse it off immediately with water.
- Kids and Pets- Instruct your kids, pets, and elderly to maintain distance from the ammonia-treated area.
How to Keep Snakes Away from Your House?
Read the below tips to prevent the entrance of serpents into your property.
- Install snake fencing or mesh to keep snakes away from your house.
- Remove food sources by sealing up holes in the yard or garden and keeping outdoor trash cans covered.
- Mow tall grasses and remove clutter to eliminate snakes’ hiding places.
Check out does ammonia kill fleas here