Here’s a list of Essential Oils to Repel Wasps, along with the remedies you seek to know to get rid of those tiny nuisances without using any toxic products!
Essential oils offer numerous health benefits, and they’re an astounding wasp deterrent too. If you’re facing an infestation, check out this list of Essential Oils to Repel Wasps in the most natural way possible.
Here are some essential oils that repel biting flies
With some 30,000 identified species wandering around the earth, wasps are predatory flying insects of the order ‘Hymenoptera.’ They have thin bodies, legs with fewer hairs, and stingers. As they are predators, wasps are a vital part of the ecosystem. However, these creatures are a serious nuisance, too, especially for those who are allergic to their sting. That’s why try the below essential oil remedies to keep them far away from your property.
What Attracts Wasps?
Wasps are mostly drawn toward the house for refuge and food sources. Wall cavities, eaves, garages, and any horizontal base are ideal places for their nests. Plus, if your yard and garden have insects, then wasps are likely. They also love sweet and protein-rich food sources such as meat, juice, ripe fruit, honey, and eggs.
Essential Oils to Repel Wasps
Wondering What scents do wasps hate? Then check out the below essential oils that wasps dislike the most.
1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Extracted from the eucalyptus tree’s oval-shaped leaves, eucalyptus essential oil is an excellent wasp repellent. Being a favorable fragrant to humans, wasps dislike its sharp obtrusive scent.
Wondering Does citronella repel wasps? You are at the right place. Citronella essential oil is a potent insect deterrent. As per this reputed source, a component named ‘citronellal,’ present in citronella oil gives it the characteristic wasp-repellent strong odor.
Besides clove essential oil’s plenitude of health benefits, it’s also a popular product in various wasp-repellent home remedies. According to this research, clove oil is effective against wasps because of its principal constituent named ‘Eugenol.’
Lemongrass oil is an excellent wasp’s repellent alternative against chemical-filled commercial products. It consists of an active compound named ‘E/Z-citral,’ that’s the reason behind its strong and prolonged action against wasps.
Does lavender oil repel wasps? Obtained from the flower spikes of the lavender plant, the lavender essential oil is not only a great wasp repellent, but it also works against mosquitoes. It’s effective because of a major compound named ‘Benzyl acetate.’
If the above essential oils are not fruitful, try peppermint oil, its concentrated menthol smell will surely keep the wasps at bay. But does peppermint oil kill wasps? The answer is ‘no.’
7. Pennyroyal Essential Oil
Backed by scientific evidence, this research proves that pennyroyal essential oil shows significant repellency against yellow jackets and paper wasps.
8. Ylang-ylang Oil
Besides offering numerous health benefits, ylang-ylang oil is the best wasps-repellent thanks to its methyl benzoate and benzyl acetate active compounds.
9. Wintergreen Oil
A bottle of wintergreen oil is all you need to combat the pesky vespid wasps. This oil is effective because of methyl salicylate. It’s one of the best essential oils to repel wasps.
10. Spearmint Essential Oil
Spearmint essential oil is the perfect wasps deterrent compared to the commercially available, chemical-filled pesticides. Wasps hate the strong aroma of spearmint oil.
11. Sage Oil
Extracted from the ‘Salvia Officinalis’ foliage, the sage essential oil is used in aromatherapy and various home remedies. Furthermore, it has antimicrobial properties as well. It’s one of the best essential oils to repel wasps.
12. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil is one of the potent essential oils for wasp repellent. Other than numerous traditional uses in folk medicine, rosemary essential oil has a plenitude of health benefits as well.
Essential Oil Wasp Repellent Recipe
Check out the below recipe to make your living space wasps-free.
- 25-30 Drops of Essential Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 10 oz Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- First, pick your favorite essential oil from the above lists.
- Next, pour water and the selected essential oil into the spray bottle using a small funnel.
- Once you’re done, your natural wasps repellent is ready.
- Spritz the prepared solution around the porch, patio, doors, windows, plants, and other wasps wandering areas.
- Reapply when necessary and especially after heavy rainfall.
Note- You can use multiple essential oils to create a potent wasp deterrent spray.
Essential Oils to Repel Wasps: Precautions
While handling the above essential oils to repel wasps, take these necessary precautions to avoid mishaps.
- To use essential oil spray on your skin, dilute it with a suitable carrier oil like argon or coconut oil.
- Keep the essential oils far away from the reach of children as their ingestion is harmful to health.
- The above essential oil hacks are suitable for small infestations but if you are facing a severe one, call the service professional.
Wasps Prevention Tips
After using essential oils to repel wasps, follow the below prevention tips to make sure they don’t come back.
- If wasps tend to get inside your house, seal all cracks, gaps, holes, and other potential entry points around your property.
- Make sure to tightly seal all the trash cans and empty them on a regular basis.
- Eliminate fallen rotting fruit from your yard.
- Store food and juices in airtight containers.
- Any food source left outdoors should be removed or covered properly.
- Don’t forget to patch up holes in window screens.