Instead of buying jewelry cleaning products, read this short and instructive article to learn how to clean costume jewelry with baking soda and salt!
Costume jewelry, also known as fake, faux, false, or imitation jewelry, is made up of semi-precious or cheaper metals and ordinary stones that give the look & feel of real ornaments. This kind of jewelry is perfect for everyday use. Unlike the original ones, costume ornament does not last forever. However, by taking extra care, you can increase its life a bit.
Also Read: 15 DIY Jewelry Made From Dried Flowers
Why Costume Jewelry Gets Tarnished?
Costume jewelry is quite beautiful and cheaper than the real ones. However, over time, it gets exposed to moisture, dirt, oil, hair, and makeup residuals, that react with the metal, causing a tarnished or rusted appearance. Instead of tossing them out, make it brand new again by using the below method.
With the combination of baking soda and salt, you can clean your soiled or rusted costume jewelry in a flash. When mixed with water, this solution starts to fizz and gives you the desired result. It works perfectly, no matter what type of imitation ornament you have and what’s its condition.
- 1/2 Cup of Hot Water
- 1 Tbsp of Table Salt
- A Bowl or Dish
- 1 Tbsp of Baking Soda
- A Toothbrush
- Put the ornaments in a bowl and pour 1 tbsp of each table salt and baking soda all over them. Now gradually add 1/2 cup of hot water and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Once it’s done, scrub them gently with a toothbrush to clean their nooks and crannies.
- After that, rinse them with lots of water, and dry with a soft cloth properly.
Why is Baking Soda and Salt Effective?
When baking soda and salt are mixed with water, their fusion starts a chemical reaction (fizzing), which is the sole reason behind their ability to clean tarnished and dirty costume jewelry.
If the above hack is not fruitful to you, then below are some other effective remedies that’ll do the job for sure.
- Try Lemon – Being a natural acid, lemon is an excellent tool to remove grime and tarnish from your costume jewelry. , pour lemonade into a cup and place the desired ornament into it. Leave it for 3-5 minutes, and then rub a toothbrush on the jewelry for a few seconds. Once you’re done, rinse it with water & dry properly.
- Use White Vinegar & Water Solution – Mix 1 tbsp of each water and white vinegar in a bowl. Then, soak the costume jewelry into it for two minutes and scrub gently with a toothbrush before washing it with water. This method will clean the ornament while giving it the original shine it had!
- Dish Soap, Baking Soda, & Salt – Pour 2 tbsp of each baking soda, dawn dish soap, and salt in a bowl with 1/2 cup of water. Then, place all the dirty costume jewelry into it for 3-5 minutes. Once it’s done, rinse them with water and dry with a soft cloth.
- Use Baby Shampoo – Restore the beauty and charm of your costume jewelry using the baby shampoo. Combine one drop of each water and shampoo into a bowl. Then, apply the mixture all over the jewelry using a cotton swab and wash it with water.
- Try Toothpaste – Another cost-effective way to clean your costume jewelry is to use toothpaste. Apply enough toothpaste on a brush and rub it gently on the jewelry for a minute and wash with water.
While trying the above remedies, it’s vital to take some precautions to avoid any damage.
- If the costume jewelry has gems and stones, then don’t use liquidy agents to clean them as it might loosen up their glue, and they might fall off.
- Don’t use the above hacks on gold or silver plated costume jewelry as they can damage the plating.
- Make sure to dry your costume jewelry properly after trying any of the above remedies to avoid rusting.
Prevent your favorite costume jewelry from tarnishing by taking the below measures.
1. Store Properly
Storing costume jewelry into airtight ziplock bags is the best way to protect them from becoming blackened and discolored. Small silk or velvet pouches are also an excellent storage option. Proper storage is a must as the moisture that exists in the air can cause significant damage to your costume jewelry.
2. Keep Away From Moisture
When costume jewelry comes into contact with moisture and liquid, it tarnishes quickly. This includes body lotions, moisturizers, skin’s natural oil, moist hands, perfumes, and sweating. If you accidentally get your costume jewelry wet, wipe it off with a dry cloth immediately.
With proper handling and care, rusted or soiled costume jewelry will not be a problem anymore. Besides, go through this tutorial to learn how to clean gold with toothpaste and baking soda.