Does UV Light Kill Bed Bugs | How to Kill Bed Bugs
Does UV light kill bed bugs? Stay tuned with us to know the answer that might surprise you, along with some helpful prevention tips!
Bed bugs are miniature, egg-shaped nocturnal parasites that survive by feasting on human and animal blood. A healthy female bed bug can produce up to 200-250 eggs in her entire life. Due to their 5-9 mm sized flattened body structure, bed bugs can easily sneak in the cracks, gaps, holes, and crevices of furniture, mattresses, bedsteads, cushions, and headboards. Although bed bugs don’t spread any diseases, their bites can cause itchiness, red, and inflamed skin.
Bed bugs are hitchhikers. They sneak to your home from the outside world through infested baggage, garments, and old furniture. Also, stay vigilant while visiting hotels, motels, and theatres as they are the breeding places of bed bugs.
Does UV Light Kill Bed Bugs?
According to this study, UV light eliminates bed bugs and destroys their eggs as well. However, you’ve to keep them still in an open place for a long time, which not seems possible and convenient at all. UV light is only effective when the bed bugs are exposed to the UV light for a longer period of time.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
As you know, getting rid of bed bugs from UV light is not convenient that’s why we’ve collected a few cheap natural remedies below that’ll get the job done.
As per this reputed study, food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is an effective go-to remedy to exterminate bed bugs. Thanks to the DE’s tiny abrasive particles, when bed bugs come into contact with them, their exoskeleton dries out, which leads to death.
Sprinkle a sufficient amount of diatomaceous earth in the holes, cracks, gaps, crevices, and underneath the kitchen appliances, furniture, closets, and bed frames. If possible, take the stuff outside to use diatomaceous earth.
2. Citronella Oil Spray
According to this authentic source, citronella essential oil is a potent product that deters or exterminates bed bugs on contact as well as their eggs for good. It works because of its pungent odor and the ability to increase arthropods’ acidic condition.
For this approach, combine 20-25 drops of citronella essential oil and 1/2 cup of lukewarm water into an empty spray bottle. Shake the solution well and spritz it all over the upholstered furniture, baseboards, carpet, mattress, bed frame, beddings, and other potential bed bugs hiding areas.
- To treat the bed bug-infested non-washable stuff, leave them in the direct sunlight for 5-6 hours.
- Keep your kids, pets, and elderly stay far away from the treated area.
- If possible, perform the above treatment remedies outside in the garden under direct sunlight.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs Infestation?
Go through the below preventive measures to avoid bed bug infestation in the first place.
- As electrical outlets are the perfect hideout of the hitchhikers, cover them adequately.
- Remove the heaps of clutter from the inside and outside of your home to reduce bed bugs hiding places.
- Vacuum mattresses, box springs, and floors frequently to remove these parasites.
- Use door sweeps to halt bed bugs’ movements to other parts of the house.
- Be vigilant before purchasing pre-owned furniture and electronics, check them carefully for infestation.
- Fix torn windows and screens promptly.
- Use silicone caulk to close all the holes, cracks, gaps, and other potential entryways.
- If you’re a frequent traveler, always store your clothes in a sealed airtight bag because bed bugs mostly get transferred from hotels and motels.
- Inspect your pet’s bed and the surrounding area for bed bug infestation. Wash it daily in the washer in the highest settings.
- Beware of bed bugs from public places like changing rooms.
Eradication of bed bugs infestation is a challenging task, however, through the above remedies, these parasites will not be a problem anymore. If you are experiencing a severe bed bug infestation, call the exterminator for further help. Besides, learn how long do bed bugs survive on clothes from here.