Learn how to clean wooden doors quickly from this short and instructive article, along with some useful and practical care tips!
Being common in many residential dwellings, wooden doors are often overlooked in terms of cleaning and caring. Over time, they get accumulated with dust, grime, grease, and other stains, which makes their appearance dull. That’s why daily or periodical cleaning is a must. With proper care and maintenance, wooden doors not only look good as new but also survives longer than usual.
How to Clean Wooden Doors?
Without any further ado, let’s find out a couple of methods that will help you to maintain the look and feel of your wooden doors in top-notch condition.
Seems like a naive suggestion, but regular dusting can be quite helpful, as doors are prone to dust and cobwebs. For this approach, take a feather duster and thoroughly dust your wooden doors daily to prevent the buildup of dust, debris, and spider webs. To dust hard-to-reach places, use a small paintbrush or toothbrush.
2. Use Mild Dish Soap
To remove minor marks or grime present on the wooden door, use the combination of dish soap and water. Fill a spray bottle with 1/4 tsp of dish soap and a cup of water. Spritz the solution all over the door surface and scrub with a rag. Next, wipe the surface with a clean wet sponge to remove the soapy residues. Finally, dry the door with a microfiber cloth, and you’re done.
3. Mineral Spirits
Mineral spirits are the go-to product to eliminate stubborn stains, dirt, or grime buildup. All you’ve to do is slightly dampen a microfiber cloth with mineral spirits, then rub the surface around the doorknob and other hardware like hinges. You can purchase this product from the nearest home improvement store.
4. Liquid Furniture Polish
Mineral spirits can dull the door’s sheen, that’s why make sure to use liquid furniture polish afterward. This will not only exclude any remaining stubborn stains and mild scuffs but also bring back the wood’s former glory as well. Apply liquid furniture polish on the door as mentioned on the product label. Next, rub the surface with a dishcloth.
Steam cleaning machines are another excellent way to disappear the smudges present on the wooden door. Connect the hose attachment to the steam cleaner and pour a few drops of dish soap on the stained spots. Next, spray the steam on the smudges, run the hose up and down. If you don’t have the device handy, no worries, rent it from the nearest grocery or carpet repair stores.
- While using mineral spirits, make sure the area is properly ventilated as the fumes are harmful to health.
- Before using the above methods, always wear protective gear such as good quality face mask, long-sleeved clothing, and goggles.
- Instruct your kids, pets, and elderly to stay far away from the treated area.
- For everyday cleaning, dusting and a soap solution are enough.
- Incorporate mineral spirits and liquid furniture polish in your periodical door cleaning regime for tough, stubborn stains.
- The above methods are perfect for both painted and polished wooden doors.
- Don’t forget to sanitize the doorknobs and other door fixtures with a sanitizer.
Now, after cleaning and removing scuff marks or other stains from your wooden door, maintain the door appearance by following the below care tips.
- Dust your door on a daily basis.
- Clean the fresh stains with the liquid dish soap and water solution.
- Educate your kids and pets not to leave any scuff marks on the wooden doors.
After reading the above article, cleaning and transforming the look of wooden doors will be quite easy for you. Besides, check out these crafty faux wooden candles, which are a perfect home decor item. Let us know what methods you usually use to clean your wooden door by commenting below!