Leather needs utmost care and love to maintain its durability, flexibility, and high-quality finish. Let’s find out how to use mink oil for leather bags below!
What Is Mink Oil?
Mink oil is rendered from the fat of the mink pelts via the rendering process. It’s a major ingredient in several pharmaceutical, personal care, and cosmetic goods. Furthermore, mink oil is a popular lubricant for all types of leather to keep them in top-notch condition because of its high unsaturated fatty acid content.
Is Mink Oil Bad for Leather Bags?
No, mink oil is not bad for leather-based products. Its fatty acid content not only moisturizes and freshens up the leather bag but also protects its surface from water, mold, dirt, and mildew. However, avoid using mink oil on light-coloured leather bags, as it makes their shade darker.
Mink Oil for Leather Bags
Leather is a long-lasting material obtained by tanning animal skins. It’s used for making shoes, book covers, garments, gloves, hats, belts, and bags. Over time, in the absence of proper care, leather starts to dry and develops cracks on its surface. That’s why optimal care is crucial for maintaining the durability, flexibility, and texture of leather-based products. Don’t fret, try the below mink oil hack to prevent dryness and chapping of leather bags because of its natural moisturizing and nourishing properties.
What You’ll Need
- Mink Oil
- A Dry Cloth
- Clean Sponge
- Clean your leather bag with a dry cloth to remove dust and dirt.
- Next, rub mink oil on the leather bag using a sponge in a circular movement. Make sure to coat the whole bag evenly.
- Once it’s done, wipe off any extra oil from the bag surface.
- Let it dry naturally for a couple of hours.
- After that, your leather bag looks good as new and becomes waterproof too.
- Redo this moisturizing process once a week so that the leather bag doesn’t dry out, shrink, and crack.
How to Take Care of Your Leather Bags?
After making your leather bags supple by nourishing their fibres with mink oil, everyday care is a must to prevent any mishaps.
- Leather bags are stretchable, therefore, don’t fill them unnecessarily.
- Wipe your leather bags with a soft dry cloth daily to remove any foreign particles.
- Avoid using soap and cleansers to clean leather-based bags.
- Keep the leather articles out of reach from your furious pets to prevent scratches and other damages.
- Always store your leather bags in dust bags, away from humid areas and artificial heat sources.
- Protect them from water and any liquid spills.
- Keep your leather bags far away from direct sunlight.
- Preven them from abrasives to avoid cut and scratch marks.
Leather bags need care and attention to look beautiful for years to come. After reading the above article, you’ll learn to maintain the appearance of your treasured leather bags with mink oil. Besides, if your leather furniture has scratch marks, this article might help in combatting the issue. Please feel free to give your valuable suggestions, and don’t forget to share this helpful article with your loved ones.