Here are some awesome benefits of sea moss for men that will surely tempt you to add this nutritious seaweed to your daily diet!
Familiar with the names of Irish moss, Irish sea moss, Chondrus crispus, and carrageen moss, the “superfood” sea moss is an intimidating seaweed that grows near the Atlantic seashores. Sea moss is used in several cosmetic products because of its immense nutritional elements. Furthermore, it’s an excellent substitute for gelatin and commercial thickening agents for soup, juices, smoothies, sauces, stews, ice cream, and more. Along with such uses, sea moss has lots of benefits for men, which are discussed later in this article.
Nutritional Value of Sea Moss
Irish moss is famous for its life-saving anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, and skin healing properties. Furthermore, it contains all the essential vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals necessary for the human body to thrive.
100 gms of raw sea moss contains:
- Calories 49
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
- Trans Fatty Acids 0.0 g
- Omega-3 Fatty acids 47.0 mg
- Omega-6 Fatty acids 2.0 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Protein 1.5 g
Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin A 118 IU
- Calcium 72.0 mg
- Vitamin C 3.0 mg
- Vitamin E 0.87 mg
- Iron 8.9 mg
- Vitamin K 5.0 mcg
- Vitamin B6 0.1 mg
- Magnesium 144 mg
- Potassium 63.0 mg
- Copper 0.1 mg
- Manganese 0.4 mg
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Loaded with powerful antioxidants like flavonoids, phenolic, and tannins, sea moss is all you need to fight against the rogue free radicals. Antioxidants present in sea moss prevents the formation of free radicals in the body, thereby reduces the risks of different health conditions.
2. Aids in Thyroid Condition
Men having thyroid disease must consume sea moss as it’s high in iodine. However, its overconsumption can worsen the condition as well. If you’re planning to add this nutritious seaweed in your daily regime to combat thyroid, it’s highly recommended to talk to a doctor.
3. Moisturizes Dry Skin
As Irish moss is full of vitamin A, C, E, and K and healthy fatty acids, its regular topical usage can make men’s dry skin smooth, soft, supple, and youthful. Furthermore, it’s an excellent moisturizer for men’s rough gym hands.
4. Possess Anti-inflammatory Properties
According to this study, Chondrus crispus is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that help you fight against the adverse health effects of inflammation. Inflammation is a natural mechanism that defends your body from infection and injury. However, it leads to various diseases when becomes chronic.
Homemade Sea Moss Gel Recipe
To cut men’s hassle, we have collected a multipurpose sea moss gel recipe below, which is ideal for oral consumption and topical application on skin and hair as well.
What You’ll Need
- A Cup of Raw Dried Sea Moss
- Lots of Spring or Filtered Water
- A Mixing Bowl
- Airtight Jar
- A Knife
- Clean the dried Chondrus crispus with water. Use your fingers to remove all the dirt and grimes.
- Then, submerge the Irish moss in a small container or bowl filled with water overnight.
- In the morning, if the moss is doubled in size and becomes white and gelatinous, then discard the water and cut the moss into tiny pieces. If not, let it soak in water for a few more hours.
- Next, blend the pieces and a cup of water in the blender to get a creamy white-hued, lump-free paste. Add more water if necessary.
- After that, transfer the prepared paste into an airtight jar and cover it with a lid.
- Store the jar in the refrigerator to get a gel-like consistency.
- The gel lasts up to a month in the refrigerator and 2-3 months in the freezer.
How to Use Sea Moss Gel?
Sea moss gel can be used as a face and hair mask. To make masks, spread a sufficient amount of Irish moss gel on your face and hair. Leave the masks for half an hour allowing the gel to do its work. After that, rinse your face and strands with lots of water, followed by a skin moisturizer and hair conditioner. Redo this beauty regime regularly for up to 2-3 weeks to notice positive results. You can also consume sea moss gel either solely or by combining it with smoothies, soups, stews, and juices. Always remember the recommended intake of Irish moss gel is 1-2 tbsps per day.
Precautions to Consider
Below are some precautions that you must consider before adding this nutritious seaweed to your diet.
- People having underlying health conditions must consult with their physicians regarding sea moss consumption.
- Women experiencing pregnancy and lactation must avoid its intake.
- Never use Irish moss if you have cuts and open wounds on your skin and scalp.
Sea moss is a miraculous seaweed with lots of vitamins and minerals in its arsenal. Besides, if you want to make aloe vera gel at home, check out this article. Let us know your valuable suggestions and queries by writing in the comment section below.