If you often wonder, does citronella oil expire? Keep your clouds of doubt at bay by scrolling through this informative article!
What Is Citronella Oil?
Citronella essential oil is the essence of the foliage and stems of citronella grass, “Cymbopogon nardus.” It is yellow to brown in color and has a characteristic floral, citrus-like aroma. Citronella oil is a popular natural insect repellent, aromatherapy agent, and additive in many foods and beverages as well. That’s why people around the world have been using citronella oil for a long time. But, have you ever thought about whether does citronella oil expire or not and how to keep it safe from going bad early? Keep scrolling to know more.
Does Citronella Oil Expire?
Citronella oil expires, and its appearance changes over time. To find out its expiry date and the ideal storage condition, read the product label properly. Discard the bottle once it hits the expiration date. If you used to DIY this essential oil at home, store it in an amber-colored bottle in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
How to Tell If Citronella Oil Is Expired?
Don’t worry if your citronella oil lacks an expiry date, check out the below signs to determine whether the essential oil is fresh or bad.
- The citronella oil becomes cloudy or loses its color.
- The oil smells rancid, less potent, or different compared to a fresh one.
- The texture of oil becomes either too thick or thin.
What Affects the Shelf Life?
Below are some key factors that affect the quality and shelf life of citronella essential oil.
- Oxygen- Once an essential oil is exposed to air, its molecules start to react with oxygen molecules, thereby induces oxidation. This process changes oil’s structure completely and makes it less potent and effective.
- Light and Heat- Behind the deterioration of citronella essential oil, light and heat play a major role. In their presence, oxidation happens at a significantly faster rate. That’s why it’s important to keep its bottle in a dark area like a cabinet.
How to Prevent Citronella Oil from Expiring Early?
Try the below tips to prevent citronella essential oil from expiring early.
- Don’t keep the bottle of essential oil uncapped for an extended period of time as the oil reacts with oxygen and loses its potency.
- Always store the oil of citronella in a cool and dry place. Keep it far away from any direct heat sources.
- Only use dark-colored bottles for citronella oil.
Like other essential oils, citronella oil expires too and goes bad when not handled appropriately. In that case, avoid using the expired oil and dispose of it promptly. If you found this article helpful, kindly share it with your family and loved ones.