Diatomaceous earth is popular for many reasons. But does diatomaceous earth kill scorpions? It does help to get rid of them but there’s a catch. Find out!
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is also familiar by the name diatomite. It’s a white powdery abrasive substance obtained from the fossilized remnants of diatoms present in lakes and rivers in the form of porous stratified mineral rocks. DE has a lot of different uses in health, gardening, and home remedies. But does diatomaceous earth kill scorpions? Keep reading to find out!
What Is a Scorpion?
Scorpions are eight-legged arachnids, having a size of 2.5 to 8.3 inches. They have a pair of gripping pedipalps and an arched tail with a poisonous stinger. Scorpions generally dwell in desserts, but they are also found in Himalayas, North Carolina, Brazilian forests, and British Columbia. They are nocturnal creatures and can survive for months without food, that’s why finding out their infestation is quite tricky. However, with the help of the below trick, you can do this task easily.
How to Find Out if Scorpions are in Your Home?
You can quickly find out the hidden scorpions by searching them with a black light (Ultraviolet light). At night, turn off all the lights and starts hunting the scorpions using the UV light. Throw light in your pantry, attics, dark areas, and vent. The black light is used in this method because when light falls on the scorpion’s body, they reflect green fluorescent color.
Where Do Scorpions Hide?
You can search for scorpions on common hiding places, which are:
- Piles of firewoods and landscape timbers
- Flower vases
- Shoes that stored outside
- Trash cans
Diatomaceous earth can kill scorpions. However, it works when they make contact with it for a longer period of time. Spatter a generous amount of diatomaceous earth around the gaps, crevices, or openings of doors, windows, and baseboards. Also, spread DE in and around the gravel areas, garden planters, attic, and cinder block fence. Make sure the treatment lasts long, because the more exposure of scorpions to diatomaceous earth, the more effective it’ll be. Reapply this insecticide if it gets washed or blown away.
Why Is Diatomaceous Earth Effective?
Food grade diatomite is considered the safest and effective insecticide against the venomous scorpions. Its tiny abrasive particles cut through their exoskeleton, causing dehydration, and eventually kills them. However, it needs some time to get the job done.
As diatomaceous earth takes its own sweet time to kill the scorpions, that’s why it’s necessary to use alternate ways to get rid of them quickly and completely.
- Install Sticky Traps – The traps that you used to catch rodents are also useful for scorpions as well. Placing sticky traps in the basement, garage, attics, near the sources of water, and outside the house will do the trick.
- Try Essential Oils – Lavender, cedarwood, and cinnamon essential oils are excellent scorpion repellents. Pour 25-30 drops of one of these essential oils and 1/2 cup of warm water in a spray bottle. Shake it well & spritz it around the foundation areas, windowsills, doorframes, and other potential hiding spots.
- Household Bleach – Another great and less expensive way to kill scorpions is household bleach. It works because of bleach’s acidity. For this hack, you only need bleach, water, an empty spray bottle, gloves, and this article.
While trying the above home remedies to eliminate scorpions, it’s vital to take some necessary precautions.
- Always use food grade diatomaceous earth, as the filter grade contains a high amount of crystalline silica, which is harmful to human beings.
- Before using diatomaceous earth, make sure to read and follow its label directions properly to avoid mishaps.
- Guide your kids and pets to stay far away from the ground cinnamon, sticky traps, and diatomaceous earth treated area.
After eliminating scorpions from your house, it’s vital to take some preventive measures to inhibit their entrance in the first place.
- Fix holes, cracks, and crevices, especially around doors and windows.
- Eliminates standing water in and around your house.
- If you are living in those areas where scorpions sighted often, then investigate cabinets, closets, and other dark spaces regularly.
- Remove piles of organic debris, stones, firewood, and landscape timbers around your house.
- Install door sweeps beneath the doors.
- Use wire mesh to cover your windows and doors to prevent scorpions entrance.
- Sealed the unwanted entrances of your home with hardwire cloth.
- Keep floors, closets, bathroom, and corners dry as scorpions enter the house searching for water.
- Always throw garbage in the lidded trash cans and clean them on a regular basis.
- Trim bushes, vines, grasses, and other hiding spots.
- Use weather strippings to seal doors and windows.
Diatomaceous earth is an excellent natural remedy to get rid of scorpions. However, this substance has its drawbacks. If scorpions infestation is severe, then call the service professional.