Rice vinegar is used as a flavor-enhancer in most Asian cuisines. But does rice vinegar expire? Let’s find out in this article.
What Is Rice Vinegar?
Rice or rice wine vinegar is the aged and filtered product obtained from the acetous fermentation of sugars derived from rice. Rice vinegar is excellent for flavoring with herbs, spices, and fruits due to its mild flavor. It is light in color and has a clean, delicate flavor. Widely used in Asian dishes, rice vinegar is popular because it does not significantly alter the appearance of the food.
Does Rice Vinegar Expire?
The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out can rice vinegar go bad and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration.
White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period. And, while there can be some changes in other types of vinegar, like color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change, and vinegar is still usable.
Benefits Of Rice Vinegar
- Many studies on acetic acid, the main component of vinegar, done on rats, and humans found that is it effective in controlling hypertension. 
- A study showed that a continuous intake of 750 mg of acetic acid daily (approximately 15 mL of vinegar) reduces systolic blood pressure of adults with prehypertension as well as adults with hypertension. 
- There are vital amino acids and other active ingredients in rice vinegar that can help your body fight off fatigue and give your metabolism a boost precisely when you need it.
- A large population study from China found lower rates of esophageal cancer in people who frequently consumed rice vinegar. 
- For centuries, rice vinegar is used in Japan as a tonic for the liver. It is believed to increase the detoxifying effects of this organ and ensure that it functions normally.
Vinegar is one of those ingredients with the most extended shelf life and no expiration. If the vinegar is well preserved, the content inside will remain intact for a long time.