You don’t require a professional to kill silverfish. Read this article to know about some potent essential oils to get rid of silverfish from your house.
What Is Silverfish?
Silverfish, also known by the binomial term, ‘Lepisma saccharina,’ is a tiny, flightless nuisance pest that belongs to the order ‘Zygentoma.’ It’s white, grey, or bluish-silver in appearance. Silverfish loves to dwell in warm and humid places such as the basement, drain pipe, shower, wardrobe, and toilet. It feasts on a variety of materials like paper, cotton, starch, and cereals. Silverfish do not cause any health issues to human beings but could be a reason for many other problems.
Essential Oils to Get Rid of Silverfish
Try the below essential oils that will either repel or eliminate the silverfish from your home.
1. Japanese Cedar Wood Essential Oil
Japanese cedarwood oil comes from the Japanese redwood tree. According to well-reputed research, Japanese cedarwood’s essential oil shows strong deterrent and insecticidal activity against the silverfish.
Pour 1 tsp of Japanese cedarwood oil along with 1 cup of water into a spray bottle using a funnel and shake it well. Now, spritz it in the basement, carpet, toilet, wardrobe, and other potential dwelling areas of silverfish. You can also wipe the floor with this solution to repel them.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is the essence of the flower spikes of the lavender plant (Lavandula angustifolia). The lavender essential oil is a potent deterrent against silverfish because of its strong scent. Besides, it’s also known for the various therapeutic benefits.
Add 25-30 drops of lavender essential oil with 1/2 cup of water into a spray bottle and shake it properly. Now, spray it around the holes, cracks, bathroom, basements, and under the bed. You can also use it as a cleaner to repel the silverfish from the hard surfaces of kitchen cupboards, floors, & appliances.
3. Taiwan Hinoki Essential Oil
Extracted from the woods and twigs of ‘Chamaecyparis formosensis,’ this essential oil is a boon for homeowners with a silverfish invasion. This research proves that Taiwan hinoki essential oil can completely kill the pesky silverfish.
Mix 2 tsp of Taiwan hinoki oil along with 1/2 cup of water in a bowl. Then, transfer the solution into an empty spray bottle. Now, spritz it on the carpet, basement, drain pipes, doors, windows, crevices, under the kitchen appliances & furniture.
- While trying the above remedies, always use a face mask and hand gloves as a precautionary measure.
- Don’t spray the above essential oils on yourself, kids, and pets, unless you dilute them with a carrier oil.
- Repeat these home remedies daily until you see a reduction or complete elimination of silverfish.
Silverfish Prevention Tips
After trying the above remedies, it’s vital to implement the below silverfish prevention tips in your daily life to inhibit their entrance into your house.
- Preserve your food in sealed and airtight containers.
- Always use a dehumidifier in the basements and where humidity levels are high.
- Seal all the cracks and holes around your house.
- Always make sure to maintain proper ventilation.
- You should Vacuum and dust your house daily.
- Remove all the piles of clutter inside and outside of your home.
- Clean the air ducts often.
- Repair dripping pipes and eliminate any standing water in any area in or around your house.
After reading the above article, you can quickly get rid of silverfish using the above essential oils. Besides, if you are looking for all-natural essential oils for the treatment of hickeys, then this article is for you. Try these remedies and let us known your suggestion & queries by commenting below.
I hope these oils work because I have no idea where they are coming from. But I am definitely going to try spraying everywhere as soon as my oil arrives. I think I will get the cedar and lavender.