Wondering how do you get rid of sugar ants? Read this article to find out a few remedies that’ll get rid of sugar ants quickly and inexpensively!
What Are Sugar Ants?
‘Sugar ants’ is a colloquial term used to define various household ants that love to feast on sugar and sweet food. They are not harmful to human beings but a serious nuisance to homeowners, and not to mention, some of them harm plants as well. That’s why it’s vital to eradicate them once and for all.
What Attracts Sugar Ants?
Sugar ants are drawn to your dwelling for all kinds of sugary foods such as maple syrup, cake, cookies, honeydew, juices, jelly, sugar, honey, fruits, and other sweet stuff. However, they also eat dead insects for protein and other essential substances that are essential for their survival.
How to Identify Sugar Ants Infestation?
Check out the below sign to find out whether your house is attacked by sugar ants or not.
- If you often spot sugar ants in your house, especially in the kitchen area, then it’s a clear sign that a nest is present somewhere around your house.
- A large swarm of ants wandering near sugary spills, stains, and food traces.
How Do You Get Rid Of Sugar Ants?
If you don’t believe in using harsh chemicals, pesticides, and insecticides to get rid of sugar ants, try the below natural home remedies to get rid of them easily.
1. Use Borax
Borax is a naturally present white powdery substance capable of exterminating all types of ants. When ants ingest borax, it disrupts their stomach and nervous system, which leads to a slow death. In the meantime, sugar ants carry the poisonous bait to their colony, wiping out their entire clan in the process.
Combine a tbsp of borax, a cup of water, and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl. Drench a few cotton balls in this mixture. Once the balls are saturated, put them in a glass jar and close it with a lid. Poke a couple of holes on the lid and place the jar near the sugar ants’ potential entryway. Repeat this hack regularly until all the ants are gone.
2. Try Boric Acid
Boric acid is toxic to sugar ants when ingested; you can use this product for both home and garden. This toxin works by destroying ants’ exterior shells and upsetting their stomachs. Like the borax, boric acid also eradicates ants’ entire colony.
Mix equal parts of boric acid and honey in a bowl. Now, submerge some cotton balls in the prepared solution. Next, toss the balls in a baby food jar, cover it with a lid, and punch a few holes on the top. Place the jar near ants trail, colony, and where sugar ants tend to accumulate.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Extracted from the flowering parts and leaves of the “Mentha balsamea Wild” plant, the peppermint essential oil keeps the sugar ants far away from your property. It’s an excellent ant deterrent because of its characteristic pungent smell that ants hate the most.
To make a homemade ant repellent spray, combine 20-25 Drops of peppermint essential oil and 1 quart of distilled water into an empty spray bottle. Next, spritz the solution on the ant trail, colony, and potential ants wondering places.
4. Homemade Sugar Ant Repellent Spray
Ditch commercial repellents by trying this cheap, non-toxic homemade deterrent to ward off sugar ants from your house and garden. The garlic and cayenne pepper in the spray has an irritating, pungent odour that the sugar ants don’t like.
Add 2-3 crushed garlic cloves, a tsp of grounded cayenne pepper, and a cup of water into a bowl. Mix them well and transfer the mixture into a spray bottle. Shake a bit and spray it over the ant trails, under the kitchen sink, behind the appliances, and around the potential entrances.
- Change the borax and boric acid baits with a fresh one every 3-4 days.
- The borax and boric acid aren’t immediate fixes for an ant infestation, as they are slow-acting poison. You’ll see a reduction in the population of sugar ants within a week.
Precautions to Consider
Before trying the above sugar ants removal remedies, you must read these necessary precautions.
- Instruct your kids and pets to stay far away from the treated area.
- Wear gloves, goggles, full-sleeve clothing, and a good quality breathable mask.
- Clean your hands properly after using the above remedies.
- If you’re experiencing a severe sugar ants infestation, avoid these hacks and take the service of a professional exterminator.
Sugar Ants Prevention Tips
After eliminating sugar ants from your property, avoid their future infestation by following the below prevention tips.
- Clean liquid and food spillages, especially sugary ones, right away.
- Don’t forget to vacuum your house on a daily basis.
- Seal all the cracks, gaps, holes, and other openings using silicone caulk to prevent sugar ants’ entrance.
- Keep your food items, especially the sweet ones, in airtight sealed containers.
- Clean kitchen counters, sink, oven top, and chopping boards after every meal.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes overnight.
- Empty and clean the trash can regularly.
- Repair water leakage and remove standing water promptly.
- Before bringing sweet foodstuff to home, inspect them for sugar ants infestation.
- Use a natural pesticide to treat the exterior of your home.
Sugar ants are a nuisance but can be eliminated easily using a couple of home remedies. Besides, if you are annoyed by fire ants, this article might be helpful. For any suggestions and queries, hit the comment button below.