Oregano oil is a potent extract that solves a range of health issues. But Is Oregano Oil Effective for Toothache? Find out the answer below!
Do you have mild tooth pain and don’t have time to visit a dentist? Say goodbye to the discomfort by using Oregano Oil for Toothache.
Find out the use of wild oregano oil for cold sores here
What is Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil, also known as the oil of oregano, is an extract of the small, bushy “Origanum vulgare” oregano herb. This herbal oil is used orally or topically to gain astounding health benefits. Oregano oil should not be confused with concentrated oregano essential oil, as both are different.
How to Make Oregano Oil at Home?
Oil of oregano can be purchased from any nearest grocery or departmental store. But, if you want to prepare this oil at home, follow the below steps.
- A Handful of Oregano Leaves (Crushed or chopped)
- Mason Jar
- Olive Oil (Enough amount to submerge the leaves)
- Rinse a handful of finely chopped oregano leaves.
- Fill a mason jar with chopped leaves and slightly warm olive oil. Stir them for a couple of seconds.
- Secure the jar with a lid and store it in a cool, dark place for up to 7-14 days.
- Make sure to shake the jar every day within this infusing period.
- Once it’s done, strain the prepared oil into an airtight jar and toss the leaves.
- Store the jar in the refrigerator when not in use.
Oregano Oil for Toothache
Toothache is an unbearable condition that happens due to tooth decay, abscessed tooth, or infection. For mild toothache, oregano oil is an effective and cheap herbal remedy that works like a charm. Its effects are temporary, but this oil will help you bear the pain until your next visit to the dentist.
Note- Oregano oil only lessens the intensity of toothache but will not cure the pain or infection completely.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Toothache and Tooth Infection?
Learn the simplest way to use oregano oil for tooth pain below.
What You’ll Need
- Oregano Oil
- A Bowl
- Pour a few drops of oregano oil into a small bowl.
- Gently apply the oregano oil to the problematic tooth using a q-tip.
- Next, massage around the tooth for a few seconds.
- Alternatively, you can make a mouth rinse by mixing 1/2 cup of slightly warm water with 1/2 tbsp of oregano oil into a bowl.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a day until the toothache disappears.
- Women who are pregnant or lactating must consult a physician before using oil of oregano for tooth infection.
- If you’re suffering from a severe toothache, don’t rely on the above remedy, and talk to your dentist immediately.
- People who are allergic to the oregano herb must never use the oil of oregano for toothache.
Why Oregano Oil is Effective Against Toothache?
Oregano oil is an excellent herbal remedy for toothache thanks to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and analgesic properties. It kills the toothache-causing bacteria, alleviates the pain, and lessens the inflammation.
What Causes a Toothache?
Below are some common possible causes that might be the reason behind your toothache.
- Abscessed tooth
- Tooth injury
- Tooth removal
- Infected gums
- Decayed tooth
How to Prevent Tooth Pain?
After dealing with a toothache, don’t forget to follow the below caring tips to prevent toothaches and other dental problems in the first place.
- Use antibiotic mouthwash twice a day to get rid of harmful bacteria.
- Clean your teeth twice daily with a good-quality toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Get your teeth checked up and cleaned every year by an expert dentist.
- Always put on a dental guard before participating in any sports activity.
- Avoid consuming food made up of refined sugar and starch, or atleast decrease their intake.
- Don’t forget to floss your teeth on a daily basis.
When to Visit a Dentist?
Minor toothaches are generally treatable at home. However, it’s better to go to your dentist immediately once the pain is associated with the below symptoms.
- Severe toothache
- Mild or high fever
- Facing trouble during breathing or swallowing
- If toothache stays longer than usual
- Swelling on face
Before using any home remedy, always consult a dentist, especially if you’ve any medical condition.
Here are some astounding wild oregano oil benefits