Oregano Oil for Toothache | Remedy for Toothache
Oregano oil is a potent extract that solves a range of health issues. But does oregano oil for toothache works? Learn its surprising answer below!
What Is Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil, known as the oil of oregano, is an extract of the small, bushy “Origanum vulgare” oregano herb. This herbal oil can be used orally or applied topically to gain astounding health benefits. Oregano oil should not be confused with the concentrated oregano essential oil, as both are different.
How to Make Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil can be purchased from any nearest grocery or departmental store. However, if you want to prepare this oil at home, follow the below steps.
- A Handful of Oregano Leaves (Crushed or chopped)
- Mason Jar
- Olive Oil (Enough amount to submerge the leaves)
- Rinse a handful of finely chopped oregano leaves.
- Fill a mason jar with chopped leaves and slightly warm olive oil. Stir them for a couple of seconds.
- Secure the jar with a lid and store it in a cool, dark place for up to 7-14 days.
- Make sure to shake the jar every day within this infusing period.
- Once it’s done, strain the prepared oil into an airtight jar and toss the leaves.
- Store the jar in the refrigerator when not in use.
Toothache is an unbearable condition that happens due to tooth decay, abscessed tooth, or infection. For mild toothache, oregano oil is an effective and cheap herbal remedy that works like a charm. However, its effects are temporary, it will help you bear the pain until your next visit to the dentist. Try the below hack to get relief from toothache.
What You’ll Need
- Oregano Oil
- A Bowl
- Pour a few drops of oregano oil into a small bowl.
- Gently apply the oregano oil to the problematic tooth using a q-tip.
- Next, massage around the tooth for a few seconds.
- Alternatively, you can make a mouth rinse by mixing 1/2 cup of slightly warm water with 1/2 tbsp of oregano oil into a bowl.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a day until the toothache is gone.
- Women who are pregnant or lactating must consult the physician before using oregano oil.
- If you’re suffering from a severe toothache, don’t rely on the above remedy and talk to your dentist immediately.
- Avoid the usage of oregano oil if you’re allergic to the oregano herb.
Below are some common possible causes that might be the reason behind your toothache.
- Abscessed tooth
- Tooth injury
- Tooth removal
- Infected gums
- Decayed tooth
Why Is Oregano Oil Effective Against Toothache?
Oregano oil is an excellent herbal remedy to combat toothache, thanks to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and analgesic characteristics. It kills the toothache-causing bacteria, alleviates the pain, and lessens the inflammation as well.
Toothache Prevention Tips
After dealing with a toothache, don’t forget to follow the below caring tips to prevent toothaches and other dental problems in the first place.
- Use antibiotic mouthwash twice a day to get rid of harmful bacteria.
- Clean your teeth twice daily with a good quality toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Get your teeth checked up and cleaned every year by an expert dentist.
- Always put on a dental guard before participating in any sports activity.
- Avoid consuming food made up of refined sugar and starch or atleast decrease their intake.
- Don’t forget to floss your teeth on a daily basis.
When to Visit a Dentist?
Minor toothaches are generally treatable at home. However, it’s better to go to your dentist immediately once the pain is associated with the below symptoms.
- Severe Toothache
- Mild or High Fever
- Facing Trouble during Breathing or Swallowing
- If toothache stays longer than usual
- Swelling on Face
Toothache is an intolerable condition that needs to be treated immediately. Before using any herbal remedy consulting with your dentist is suggested especially if you’ve any medical condition.