Everyone recognizes the uses and health benefits of the well-known oregano herb. But do you know about the wild oregano oil benefits? Let’s find out below!
Wild oregano oil is acquired from the various parts of the oregano herb via different extraction methods. The term ‘wild oregano oil’ is used for oil of oregano and oregano essential oil. But these two products are not the same as they have different extraction processes, uses, and benefits.
- Oil of oregano – Also known as oregano extract, oil of oregano is obtained from the foliage of the oregano plant using ethyl alcohol or CO2. To gain its astounding health benefits, you can consume it as a supplement or use it topically.
- Oregano essential oil – Oregano essential oil is procured from the leaves and shoots of the ‘Origanum vulgare’ herb using the steam distillation system. The essence of the oregano plant is not safe to consume. For topical usage, dilute it first with a suitable carrier oil.
Without any further ado, let’s find out the wild oregano oil benefits.
Wild Oregano Oil Benefits
Below we have collected the benefits of both the types of wild oregano oil, i.e., oil of oregano and oregano essential oil.
1. Loaded with Powerful Antioxidants
According to a reputed study, oregano essential oil contains a higher amount of antioxidants because of its phenolic compounds named carvacrol and thymol. It combats the disease-provoking oxidative stress, which happens when the number of free radicals increases in the body. Similarly, oregano extract is also a rich source of antioxidants.
2. Possess Antimicrobial Properties
As per this research, oregano essential oil is a powerful antimicrobial agent against several harmful microbes, thanks to its carvacrol and thymol components. Its antimicrobial spectrum includes a number of deadly bacteria, parasites, and fungi. Likewise, the oregano extract also carries antimicrobial qualities.
3. Rich in Anti-inflammatory Properties
Oregano essential oil is full of anti-inflammatory characteristics that protect your body from the adverse health effects of inflammation. The key components of oregano oil, namely carvacrol, p-cymene, and β-caryophyllene, are responsible for its anti-inflammatory action.
4. A Potent Antibacterial
Both oregano extract and oregano essential oil are abundant sources of antibacterial properties. Oregano extract is an effective antibacterial to combat E. coli and B. subtilis bacteria, whereas the essential oil of oregano kills E. Coli and P. aeruginosa quite easily.
5. Eliminate Yeast Infection
Wild oregano essential oil is a cheap and excellent product to eliminate the multiple species of Candida, thanks to its powerful anti-fungal properties. Candida species is the leading cause of yeast infections in the world.
Before using oregano extract or oregano essential oil, read the below precautionary tips first.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding must consult with their doctor.
- If you’re taking any medications, call your family physician before using the wild oregano oil.
- Keep the oils far away from the reach of furious pets and children.
With a treasure trove of benefits to offer, wild oregano oil is truly a miraculous oil. Besides, if you’re suffering from a toothache, this article might be for you. Share this article with your family and friends to let them know about wild oregano oil benefits.