Wild Oregano Oil for Cold Sore | Cold Sore Treatment
Before taking any conventional treatment, read this article to learn the effects of wild oregano oil for cold sore, along with some prevention tips!
What Is Cold Sore?
A cold sore, alias oral herpes, is a skin condition in which small vesicles are collected in patches on the lips and anywhere on the face. It’s a transmittable disease that heals within 1-3 weeks. This is an incurable condition, but you can expedite the healing process and reduce recurrences with either prescribed medications or home remedies.
What Causes Cold Sores?
Cold sores are a highly transmittable disease that happens due to the herpes simplex virus (HSV). It has two strains, namely HSV-1 and HSV-2. HSV-1 induces cold sores, while HSV-2 induces genital herpes. However, both strains can cause sores anywhere on the human body.
Triggers that Cause Reoccurrence
As there is no medication and vaccine to eliminate the virus, once the HSV enters a person’s body, it sticks with the host for the whole life. The herpes simplex virus stays inactive in the body until it reawakens, inducing cold sores again. Reoccurrence is triggered by:
- Viral infection or fever
- Hormonal changes
- Frequent exposure to sunlight and cold wind
- Weakened immune system
- Skin injury
Mostly, a cold sore shows up on the lips and mouth and can develop anywhere on your face. A person suffering from cold sores can experience the below symptoms:
- Tingling and itching sensation
- Small pus-filled blisters on or near the lips
- Oozing and crusting
- Red, painful, and burning sores
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Muscle Aches
Stages of a Cold Sore
From their arrival to healing, cold sores go through five stages:
First: Before the rise of fluid-filled vesicles, a slight tingling and itching may occur.
Second: Pus-filled blisters emerge in the second stage.
Third: In the third stage, the blisters burst, discharge, and make unpleasant sores.
Fourth: The cold sore shrivels, and crust develops. This is the crusting stage.
Fifth: In the fifth stage, the dried crust flake away, and oral herpes disappears.
Derived from the different parts of the oregano plant, oregano oil is one of the most popular and effective herbal remedies for cold sore. It reduces the inflammation and size of cold sore because of its potent antiviral properties. This remedy is only suitable for adults and not for kids. Before using any essential oil, make sure to dilute it first with a carrier oil to avoid mishaps.
What You’ll Need
- 8-10 Drops of Oregano Essential Oil
- 3 Tsp of Coconut Oil
- A Dropper Bottle
- Small Funnel
- Cotton Ball
- Pour 8-10 drops of oregano essential oil and 3 tsp of coconut oil into a dropper bottle using a small funnel.
- Make sure to shake the bottle before using it.
- Apply the prepared solution over the cold sore using a cotton ball.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to notice positive results.
How to Prevent Cold Sore?
Follow the below prevention tips to keep yourself protected from the cold sore, as prevention is better than cure.
- Don’t make any physical contact with a person who’s infected with cold sores.
- If you suspect that a person has a cold sore, avoid using his/her personal belongings.
- Don’t share meals with a person who has cold sores.
How to Prevent the Transmission of Cold Sores?
Cold sores are a contagious disease. If you have cold sores, protect your family and friends by following the below preventive measures.
- Don’t touch or scratch your cold sores. Doing so shifts the virus to your hands and further transmits it to other body parts and people.
- Clean your hands more frequently with liquid soap and water.
- Don’t share your stuff such as drinks, utensils, lip products, toothpaste, lip gloss, foundation, toothbrushes, and towels.
- Avoid making physical and intimate contact of any form.
When to Consult a Physician?
Make an appointment with your dermatologist immediately, if:
- You have a high fever or chills
- Cold sores don’t respond to the oregano oil remedy within a week
- Symptoms are severe
- Spread to your eyes
As discussed above, oregano essential oil is all you need to manage the symptoms of cold sores. Besides, for any suggestions and queries, you can leave a comment below.