Can you freeze sea moss gel to increase its shelf life? Find out the answer to this intriguing question by reading the below article thoroughly!
Also recognized as Irish moss, Irish sea moss, and carrageen moss, sea moss is a nutritious seaweed that can be consumed orally or applied topically to gain astounding health benefits. It’s incorporated in puddings, ice cream, toothpaste, and cosmetics because of its gel-like consistency. But can you freeze sea moss gel or not is a question that many people might ask. Know the answer below!
Why Is Sea Moss Good for You?
Sea moss is a legitimate superfood rich in protein, omega fatty acids, water, calories, B-vitamins, vitamin A, C, E, B6, and K, along with other nutritional elements. It’s an ideal seaweed to nourish and flourish a human body. Furthermore, Irish sea moss also contains anti-oxidant, anti-viral, and skin rejuvenating properties.
Can You Freeze Sea Moss Gel?
You can definitely freeze sea moss gel. Doing so will increase its shelf life up to 2-3 months while in the refrigerator the storage life is merely a month. It’s highly recommended to avoid the preservation of Irish moss gel at room temperature as it goes bad quickly within a week or so. If the gel tastes bad and smells putrid, discard it immediately.
How to Make Sea Moss Gel?
To enrich your skin, hair, and body with innumerable nutritional elements of sea moss gel, prepare it at home using the below recipe.
- A Cup of Dried Irish Moss
- Two Cups of Water
- Mixing Bowl
- One Glass Jar With Lid
- A Blender
- First, rinse a cup of dried sea moss with water to remove the dirt and other foreign elements.
- Next, soak the seaweed into a bowl of water overnight.
- In the morning, discard the excess water, and cut the moss into tiny pieces.
- Put the pieces into the blender along with a cup of water and blend them for about a minute or two to get a smooth gel.
- After that, empty the prepared gel into a glass jar and secure it with a lid.
- Store the jar in the refrigerator or freezer after using it every time.
- Use sea moss gel once a day for up to 2-3 weeks to notice positive results.
How to Use
- For Hair – Spread a thin coat of sea moss gel on your hair and leave it for half an hour or so. After that, rinse your strands with a herbal shampoo followed by a conditioner and hair oil.
- For Skin – To use sea moss gel as a face mask, gently rub a sufficient amount of gel on your face with your fingertips. Let it sit for 25-30 minutes and then clean with lukewarm water.
- Oral Intake – For oral consumption, you can either eat the sea moss gel solely or by incorporating it with smoothies and juices. The recommended intake is 1-2 tbsps per day.
Before adding sea moss gel to your healthcare regime, read the below precautions to rule out any allergies or other possible side effects.
- If you’re having any underlying health condition especially thyroid-related issues, consult your physician regarding sea moss intake as it’s high in iodine.
- Pregnant and/or lactating women must avoid the consumption of sea moss.
After reading this article, we bet you’ll definitely add sea moss gel to your daily diet and personal care routine. However, don’t consume it too much as it can lead to certain possible side effects.