Carrots are beneficial for more than just your eyes. Oil from carrots can be helpful to be used as a sunscreen. Keep reading to know more about carrot oil for sunscreen.
Benefits of Carrots Oil
You have always been told to eat carrots to improve your eyesight. But did someone ever tell you about the properties of carrot oil for sunscreen? Carrot oil is extracted from the seeds of Daucus carota and has a woody and earthy smell of itself. Carrot oil is a natural detoxer. It helps the body to purify the blood, tissues, kidneys, and even livers. When used in aromatherapy, carrot oil can relieve stress, anxiety, and soothe sore muscles. And being an organic stimulator, carrot oil stimulates metabolic and brain function and secretion of hormones. Other beneficial properties of carrot oil include:
Why Should You Use Sunscreen?
Applying sunscreen every day (even in winters) is a healthy habit to maintain healthy and glowing skin. The sun’s UV rays tend to damage the skin and cause skin cancer in case of prolonged exposure. Sunscreen blocks these rays and also reduces the chances of sunburn. The sun’s UV rays also cause photoaging of the skin and the breakdown of the collagen. If your skin doesn’t have enough collagen production, it loses its elasticity, and the skin starts to age.
Carrot Oil For Sunscreen
Carrot oil has a natural SPF between 38-40. So when you dilute it with a carrier oil, carrot oil can make for an excellent sunscreen ingredient. Instead of buying commercial sunscreens with carrot oil, you can also opt for making your sunscreen at home.
Carrot Oil For Sunscreen Recipes
What You Need
- Almond/Olive Oil- 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil- 1/4th cup
- Carrot Seed Oil- 1 Tbsp
- Beeswax- 1/4th cup
- Shea Butter- 2 Tbsp
- Zinc Oxide- 2 Tbsp
What To Do
- Take all the ingredients in a saucepan except zinc oxide.
- Fill the saucepan with water up to a couple of inches and begin heating on medium flame.
- Stir and mix the ingredients as they start melting.
- Once melted, add two tablespoons of zinc oxide to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in a different container/jar while it’s still hot.
- And then place the container in the refrigerator to set.
What You Need
- Beeswax Pellets- 1 Oz
- Natural lotion– 4 Oz
- Zinc Oxide- 8 Oz
- Carrot Seed Oil- 12-15 Drops
What To Do
- Melt 1 oz of beeswax pellets in a double boiler.
- Remove the melted beeswax from heat and add 4 oz of a natural lotion.
- Now, add 8 oz of zinc oxide and 12-15 drops of carrot seed oil.
- Stir and mix all the ingredients well.
- You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for fragrance.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar/container and allow it to cool.
Take care of your skin and protect it from the harmful effects of UV rays while ditching the commercial sunscreens with carrot oil for sunscreen.