Apple cider vinegar has multiple benefits for your hair’s health and strength. But does apple cider vinegar kill lice? Let’s find out!
What Is Lice?
Lice (singular: louse) are flightless insects that thrive on human hair, and feast on their blood. There are three species of lice, namely – pubic, head, and body lice. However, the specie that affects most of the people is head lice. An adult female head louse can lay up to 6-8 eggs per day. Their infestation can cause severe itching and irritation on the scalp.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Kill Lice?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) does not kill lice. Many anecdotal reports are floating on the internet about its effectiveness, but, unfortunately, they all are false. However, the acidic property of ACV weakens the glue that attaches nits to the hair shaft, thereby makes the nit removal process more manageable.
How to Prevent Lice?
Head lice are contagious and can be transferred from one person to another through various means. That’s why it’s necessary to follow the below-mentioned prevention tips.
- Do not sleep with a lice infected person.
- Avoid hugging, kissing, or any type of physical contact with such a person.
- If someone from your family is infected with head lice, then it’s a good idea to clean the furniture and couches daily with this method.
- Wash your bed covers, pillowcases, clothes, and other washable items daily.
- Keep the unwashable items under direct sunlight for a whole day.
- Don’t share your clothes, comb, headphone, and other accessories, if you suspect someone may have head lice.
How to Get Rid of Lice?
Before using this remedy, first, read the below-mentioned notes properly.
1. DIY Mouthwash Lice Removal Remedy
If you are frustrated by these little pesky head lice, then try this mouthwash hack to eliminate them for good. However, this method is not scientifically proven yet, but some authoritative sources claim that this method works.
- Mouthwash (Listerine)
- Shower Cap
- Metal Lice Comb
- Mixing Bowl
- Hair Dryer
- Add a sufficient amount of mouthwash into a mixing bowl.
- Now, apply it all over your hair and scalp evenly with your fingertips.
- Then, cover your strands with a shower cap and let it sit for 5-7 minutes.
- Once you’re done, wash your strands with shampoo, and dry them using a hairdryer.
- After that, run the lice comb to take out the dead lice and eggs.
- Repeat this method once in a week, up to 2 to 3 weeks, to see noticeable effects.
- First, try the above method on a small portion of your hair to make sure you are not getting any side effects.
- If you have any scalp issues, don’t use the above remedy, as it can cause burning sensations.
- The above lice removal method is for adults only and not for children.
- If the mouthwash gets into your eyes, then rinse them with lots of tap water and contact your doctor immediately.
After reading the above article, we hope you’ll understand about the head lice, prevention tips, and potential remedies. If you like this article, then feel free to share it with your family and friends.