Does boric acid kill mice? How to prevent their infestation in the first place? Stay tuned with us to clear all your doubts about these questions!
What Is Boric Acid?
Boric acid is present in crystal or powder form and is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. It’s popularly used as an antibacterial, pesticide, flame retardant, and in the production of monofilament fiberglass. Furthermore, it’s also included in household cleaners, cosmetics, fertilizers, and laundry detergents.
The common names of boric acid are:
- Hydrogen borate
- Boracic acid
- Orthoboric acid
Does Boric Acid Kill Mice?
Boric acid does not kill mice at all! But, according to well-reputed research done in a lab environment, boric acid affects the reproductive system of pregnant mice, which causes malformation and even the death of their neonate or fetus.
How to Get Rid of Mice Fast?
As, now you know, boric acid can’t eliminate mice infestation. But don’t worry, try the below natural ways to repel them for good!
- Tea Bags – It sounds absurd, but yeah peppermint tea bags always works.
- Black Pepper – Fill an empty spice jar with black pepper powder. Then, sprinkle it around the holes and mice’s frequently visiting areas.
- Combination of black pepper and essential oil – Add 25-30 drops of peppermint essential oil, along with one teaspoon of black pepper powder into a mixing bowl, and mix them well. Now, dip cotton balls into this mixture and put them around the mice-infested place.
- Garlic Powder – First, fill the spice jar with garlic powder and spatter it around the mice infested area and possible entryways.
- Clove Oil – Take some disposable cups and fill them half with clove oil. Now, place them around the house and patio entrances to keep mice at bay.
- Try Borax – To repel mice, far away from your house, just sprinkle borax around the possible entryways, cracks, gaps, rooftops, and eaves.
How to Prevent Mice?
By trying the above remedies, you can surely keep the mice at bay. But, it’s vital to implement the below measures to prevent their future infestation!
- Store your food in sealed containers and clean the trash can regularly.
- The little gap between the floor surface and the bottom portion of the door work as an entryway for the mice, that’s why install door sweeps.
- Seal any cracks and holes of the walls, basements, and attics, including the areas from where gas or utility pipes enter the home.
Boric acid will not kill the mice, but the above prevention tips and home remedies surely repel them far away! In case of a severe infestation, call the pest control professionals immediately. Besides, if you are troubled by groundhogs in your property, then this method is for you!