Looking for a cheap and chemical-free way to remove nicotine stains from your walls? You are at the right place! Stay tuned to learn how to clean nicotine off walls!
Smoking cigarette is not only bad for your health, but its nicotine content leaves an oily, yellowish stain that gets deposited on the walls along with an obnoxious odor. These nasty stains harden over time, thereby becomes difficult to remove. Other than an aesthetic issue, the nicotine buildup is a severe health hazard, medically referred to as “thirdhand smoke.” That’s why it’s crucial to tackle this situation promptly. Read this article without any skip till the end to learn how to clean nicotine off walls.
How to Clean Nicotine off Walls?
Nicotine is a chemical that is naturally present in tobacco. It’s a highly addictive and colorless element. When a person smokes cigarettes inside the house, the smoke vanishes eventually, leaving greasy remnants that deposit on the nearby stuff and appears as an unsightly yellowish stain. Other than the walls; furniture, skin, hair, and clothes are the most common places where nicotine build-up might happen.
By trying the below methods, you’ll have beautiful walls once again in no time. However, use only one method at a time.
White vinegar is all you need to eliminate the hardest nicotine blemishes from the wall and its lingering fetid odor. It works by softening the sticky nicotine substances present on the walls, thanks to its acetic acid content that makes it an excellent surface cleaner. For this, combine vinegar and tepid water in a 1:1 ratio into a spray bottle. Next, spritz the solution on the stains on the walls. Wait for 3-5 minutes and then reapply the mixture. After that, scrub the area gently with a damp, lint-free cloth momentarily. Redo the hack if necessary.
2. Mild Dish Soap and Water
Try combining mild liquid dish soap and slightly warm water to get rid of nicotine stains from walls. This hack is perfect for weak blemishes. Combine 2-3 tsp of Dawn dish soap into a bucket full of water. Next, dip a rag into the soapy solution and wipe the problematic spot lightly. Once the stain is gone, wash the space with water and pat dry using a cloth.
Trisodium Phosphate, better known as TSP, is a powerful commercial cleaner that lifts stubborn wall-stains quite easily. To know the mixing ratio of TSP and water, read the product label carefully. Next, put a sponge in the solution and scrub the area gently until the stain disappears. Finally, wipe the treated spot with a damp cloth and dry properly afterward.
Precautions to Consider
Before cleaning the walls, make sure to read the following precautions.
- Move furniture away from the wall or cover them with a tarp or a cloth to avoid damage.
- Don’t forget to dry your wall after using the above methods.
- Keep your furious pets and kids far away from the treated walls.
- Prevent your floor from getting messed up due to the drippage of cleaning solutions by laying a piece of plastic or waterproof tarp on the floor.
- While treating your stained wall, don’t forget to wear a mask, good quality rubber gloves, a goggle, and full-sleeved clothes for safety purposes.
- If you’re going to use a ladder, then have someone else with you for support.
- Make sure the room is ventilated properly while cleaning the wall.
- If your walls are non-washable, avoid the above hacks and call a service professional for help.
- Use a soft sponge rather than an abrasive one to prevent damage to the wall paint.
- Don’t use one of the above methods more than twice at the same time.
Avoid smoking cigarettes to keep your health and walls aesthetic in check. Besides, if you want to make living wall art, this article might be for you. Let us know what you experienced after using the above wall cleaning hacks by hitting the comment section below.