How to Get Rid of Slugs and Snails With Coffee
Check out this short and informative article on how to get rid of slugs and snails with coffee, as they are harmful to your garden and pets as well.
What Are Slugs?
Slugs are gastropod mollusks that are considered harmful garden pests. In simple words, slugs are tiny animals with a soft, smooth, and slimy body having no external shells. Slugs are hermaphrodites, meaning they have procreative organs of both genders. They tend to deposit their eggs on compost or damp soil. These pesky pests eat various living plants and their decaying matter.
What Are Snails?
Snails are shelled gastropod mollusks having no backbone in their body. They are present on land and sea. Snails are divided into three groups freshwater, land, and sea snails. They can either have lungs or gills as per their respected group. These mollusks are agricultural and garden pests like the slugs, that’s why their elimination is necessary.
How to Get Rid of Slugs and Snails With Coffee?
According to a well-reputed study, coffee’s major compound named ‘Caffeine’ can kill or deter slugs and snails at different concentrations. Higher the caffeine content, the better the effect. However, coffee is also harmful to good insects as well. So don’t use this remedy where they are wandering. Try the below way to get rid of slugs & snails from your garden for good.
- Used Coffee Grounds
- Combine the used coffee grounds into the garden as topsoil or simply sprinkle it around the plants.
- If slugs & snails make a habitat in your house, then spread coffee grounds around their potential hiding places.
- Repeat this hack, three times a week to see noticeable effects.
- If you are facing a severe infestation of slugs and snails, then it’s highly advisable to call a professional rather than trying the above remedy.
What Prevents Slugs and Snails?
Follow the below tips to prevent the entrance of slugs and snails.
- Slugs & snails are nocturnal creatures and love to thrive in moisture. Always water your garden in the morning, so it dries by the evening.
- Eliminate the potential shelters of snails and slugs by cleaning around the garden edgings, hedges, and flower beds.
- Clear all the piles of clutter around your garden.
- Install door sweeps under the doors to stop their entrance.
- Use dehumidifiers in the basements and other damp areas.
- Secure any type of crawl space in the house and around the garden as well.
Slugs and snails not only damage your plants, but they are harmful to your pets as well when ingested. That’s why it becomes necessary to get rid of them for good. Besides, if you want to transform your home inexpensively, then these five best houseplants are worth to try.