Bees are a vital part of the ecosystem, but they can be a serious nuisance too. Try peppermint oil for repelling bees naturally without using any harmful chemicals!
With around 20,000 species available all around the globe, along with the famous honeybee, bees are flying insects that range from 0.08–1.6 inches in size. Bees depend on flowers for their survival as they feed on pollen and nectar. Due to their cross-pollination, honey, and wax producing capabilities, apiculture is done on a massive scale. Besides all of these benefits, bees are a serious nuisance, especially for those allergic to their sting. If you are constantly annoyed by bees, don’t fret, try out the below hack to deter them away.
Peppermint oil is extracted from the peppermint plant named “Mentha balsamea Wild” — a cross between watermint and spearmint. It’s used as an additive in foods, beverages, soaps, and cosmetics. Peppermint oil also has a multitude of medicinal properties to offer. Not only mint oil repels bees, but it’s a potent solution against mosquitoes as well.
Being fragrant to humans, bees dislike the strong, pungent smell of peppermint oil. It’s all possible because of its two monoterpenoids: menthol and menthone. That’s why it can be used as a natural insect deterrent for both indoor and outdoor conditions. If bees often hang in your patio, porch, and home, keep them at bay using the below peppermint oil spray method.
- 10-15 Drops of Peppermint Oil
- A Cup of Lukewarm Water
- An Empty Spray Bottle
- A Small Funnel
- Mix a cup of lukewarm water and 10-15 drops of peppermint oil into an empty spray bottle using a small funnel.
- Make sure to shake the bottle before every usage.
- To keep your outdoor place buzz-free, spritz the prepared mix around the doors, windows, patio, porch, decks, and also underneath the eaves, lawn, chairs, tables, and on walkways.
- For indoors, spray a fine mist of this solution on the furniture, carpets, and other desired area.
- However, before using this solution indoors on carpets and furniture, first, make a spot test on an inconspicuous part to prevent staining.
Note: Don’t have a spray bottle handy, grab some small pieces of cloths and pour a few drops of peppermint oil on them. Place them around the porch, patio, doors, and inside the house to deter the bees.
While using the above method for repelling the bees, make sure to follow the below precautions.
- If you have a beehive on your property or you are allergic to bees, it’s highly recommended to hire a professional rather than using the above remedy.
- Handle the peppermint oil bottle carefully, especially around your dogs, as its ingestion or topical is dangerous for your pooch.
After reading the above article, bees will not be a problem for you anymore, and you’ll always keep a bottle of peppermint oil handy. Besides, get rid of those disease-causing pesky house flies using this simple and quick vinegar hack. If you found this article helpful, share it with your family and friends. For any suggestions and queries, feel free to hit the comment button below. Enjoy!