Does Peppermint Oil Repel Ants? Read this short yet informative till the end to clear your clouds of doubt!
Mint oil is an excellent mosquito and bee deterrent. That’s why if you’re thinking, Does Peppermint Oil Repel Ants? Stay tuned to learn the answer.
Learn how to get rid of ants in the carpet here
What Are Ants?
Ants are 0.08 to 1 inch long and come in different colors and appearances. With around 12,000 known varieties, ants can pick up 10-50 times more than their average body weight. They play a vital role in the ecosystem by eating insects, pollinating, moving soil, and dispersing seeds. However, some types of ants, such as carpenter ants and fire ants, can cause severe damage.
What Attracts Ants?
Ants get attracted to the kitchen for food such as maple syrup, milk, juices, jelly, sugar, honey, meat, and overripe fruits. Anything sweet, sticky, and salty is enough to draw a swarm of ants toward your home. If they find dead insects and damp wooden structures, then a trail of ants is likely.
How to Identify Ants Infestation?
Find out the below signs to know whether ants have infested your house or not.
- If ants visit your home more often, then it might be that a colony is somewhere around your property.
- Winged ants rising from ceilings, cracks, and holes is also a sign of ants infestation.
- Long trails of ants in your garden or yard.
- Rustling sounds come from inside the wooden structure of your house.
- Small piles of wood shavings around the wooden parts of the building.
Does Peppermint Oil Repel Ants?
Made from “Mentha balsamea Wild,” peppermint oil repels ants. It’s possible because of this oil’s pungent aroma that ants hate the most. Peppermint oil is rich in fragrance, all thanks to the monoterpenoids. Furthermore, this essential oil also works against bees and mosquitoes as well.
DIY Peppermint Spray for Ants
Some species, such as carpenter ants, wreak havoc on building structures, while others contaminate food and damage plants. That’s why repel ants with the below peppermint oil spray hack.
- 20-25 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 Quart of Distilled Water
- Fine-mist Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- A Container
- Pour 1 quart of distilled water and 20-25 drops of peppermint oil into a container. Stir the ingredients properly until they are nicely mixed.
- Transfer the solution into a fine-mist spray bottle and shake it well.
- Do a spot test on an inconspicuous area to make sure the spray doesn’t stain any surfaces.
- Next, spritz it liberally around cracks, crevices, holes, windows, doors, cupboards, patios, porches, and ants’ dwelling places.
- Respray the solution on a daily basis for optimal results.
- Handle peppermint oil carefully around dogs, as its ingestion and topical usage are toxic to them.
How Long Does Peppermint Oil Repel Ants?
Peppermint essential oil is an excellent home remedy to keep pesky ants away from your home. However, this hack works until the essential oil’s aroma dissipates. Therefore, it’s advised to use the mint oil spray multiple times a day.
Ants Prevention Tips
Follow the below necessary measures to prevent ants’ further infestation:
- Clean food and liquid spill immediately as it attract ants.
- Seal holes, cracks, and other potential entryways to inhibit their entrance indoors.
- Preserve your food items in airtight containers.
- Empty your kitchen and outside trash can on a regular basis.
- Rinse your dog and cat food bowl daily.
- Use window screens and door sweeps to block their entrance.
- Keep your lawn clutter-free and trim the grasses regularly.
- Remove standing water from the inside and outside of your house.
- Repair leaky pipes immediately.
- Install dehumidifiers in the basement, attic, and other moisture-prone areas.
Learn how to get rid of ants with borax here