Gophers are a real menace, not only for homeowners but for farmers as well. To keep them away, first, it’s vital to find out what attracts gophers to your yard!
What Is a Gopher?
Local to Central and North America, gophers are also called the ‘Pocket gophers.’ These rodents have a medium-sized body, are covered with lots of hair, and are infamous for making long underground mines for their habitat, which ultimately damages farms and gardens. They have an average life span of about 1-3 years.
What Attracts Gophers to Your Yard?
Gophers are drawn towards yards due to food sources. These herbivorous animals make their habitat in underground tunnels. Gophers love to eat the roots of potatoes, carrots, grasses, radishes, shrubs, and flowers. Furthermore, they like to feed on insects as well. So, if your yard is rich in vegetation, then it’s highly susceptible that gophers will make their habitat there. But don’t worry, try the below remedies and prevention tips to keep them away!
How to Get Rid of Gophers in Yard?
Here are some non-lethal, humane ways to get rid of gophers from your farms or garden as early as possible!
- Grow Caper spurge – This plant is also known by the name ‘Euphorbia Lathyris.’ Caper spurge is a natural gopher repellent. Grow them in your yard, fields, and other possible gophers infested areas. Some other plants like oleander, rosemary, marigold, crown imperial, lavender, salvia, and catmint are also useful to get rid of them.
- Pet waste – Dogs and cats are gophers predators. That’s why put your cat’s or dog’s waste into the gophers’ tunnels. This method works because they think their predators will attack them. It’s one of the most effective ways to repel them from your property.
- Fabric softener sheets – Gophers dislike the strong smell of fabric softener sheets. Take a few sheets and stick them into their tunnels. This method forces them to run away from your yard.
- Try vibrating garden stakes – These stakes are an excellent way to get rid of gophers. To install this device, dig a deep hole into the land and plant them firmly. Vibrating stakes are generally battery or solar-charged equipment, that can be purchased online.
- Castor oil – Soak some cotton balls into the castor oil and throw them inside the tunnels. You can also use castor oil capsules or water-diluted spray.
- Peppermint oil – Pour 15-20 drops of peppermint oil into a bowl and soak some cotton pads into it. Then, put them inside the tunnels. This remedy repels the gophers because they dislike the smell of peppermint oil.
How to Prevent Gophers in Your Yard?
Implement the below ways to prevent the entrance of gophers in your yard in the first place!
- Rather than traditional gardening, you can plant a water or rock garden. As gophers only dig in soil land, these options can be excellent.
- Build a fence by burying the wire mesh 10-12 inches deep and few inches tall above the ground.
After reading the above article, we hope you now know what attracts gophers to your yard, and how to get rid of them from your property. Meantime, if groundhogs are wandering in your yard as well, then try ammonia to eliminate them for good!