Is your house often invaded with stink bugs? Keep reading to know what attracts stink bugs in your house and some effective preventive measures.
What Is a Stink Bug?
Stink bugs are also known as shield bugs, having 3/4 inches size. They are shield-shaped insects which relate to the family of ‘Pentatomidae.’ Stink bugs excrete foul odor from their body pores to avoid predators when disturbed or squashed. Besides being a nuisance to homeowners, shield bugs are a severe threat to your garden and crops as well. They love to eat fruit, flowers, plants, and vegetables. Brown marmorated stink bugs (BMSB) are one of the dominant invasive species that damage a lot of crops every year in various parts of America. BMSB was first recognized in 2001 in Pennsylvania. However, they were already present before their discovery.
There are different varieties of stink bugs namely-
- Brown marmorated stink bugs
- Harlequin bugs
- Southern green stink bugs
- Oebalus pugnax (Rice stink bug)
- Forest bugs
- Rough stink bugs
- Two-spotted stink bug or Double-eyed soldier bug
What Attracts Stink Bugs in Your House?
Stink bugs draw towards your house to survive from the coldest and iciest months of winter. Fruits and food spillages are one of the reasons of their infestation. If you notice a few of them inside of your home, then it might be possible that more uninvited guests are ready to come. They also love to dwell in the garden to eat food, vegetable, and ornamental trees.
How to Prevent Stink Bugs From Coming in the House?
Follow the below tips to inhibit stink bugs from entering homes and buildings.
- Seal holes, gaps, or any other entry points to prevent stink bugs entrance.
- Use door sweeps below the doors.
- Change all broken windows and door screens.
- In the evening, turn off unnecessary outdoor lightings, as stink bugs attract towards the light.
- Repair leaking pipes and blocked drains to get rid of moisture.
- Preserve your food in airtight containers.
- Seal your dustbins after every usage, and clean them regularly.
- Clean any food and liquid spillages from the countertops or floors.
- Install screens over the chimney and wherever possible.
- Eliminate clutter from inside and outside of the house.
How to Repel Stink Bugs?
Try the below stink bugs repellent home remedy that deters them for good.
1. DIY Stink Bug Repellent Spray
Enriched with the goodness of below three essential oils, this hack will keep stink bugs at bay.
- 10 Drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 10 Drops of Spearmint Essential Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Clove Essential Oil
- 3 Oz of Hot Water
- 4 Oz Spray Bottle
- A Funnel
- Pour 3 Oz of hot water, ten drops of each lemongrass and spearmint essential oils with 2 tbsp of clove oil into a bowl and stir them well.
- Now, empty the resultant liquid into a spray bottle using a funnel.
- Spritz the liquid inside your house, patios, plants, and where they tend to accumulate.
- Repeat the process regularly for up to one week to completely deter the bugs.
After reading the above article, you’ll get to know everything about stink bugs and their prevention. Besides, if you’re looking for a home remedy to get rid of boxelder bugs, then this article is for you.