Fleas can be very hard to get rid of. But, what temperature kills fleas? Find out the answer and some natural remedies to get rid of them!
What Are Fleas?
Fleas are flightless parasites that feed on warm-blooded mammals such as dogs and cats. They are 1/8 inch long (1 to 3 mm), and their body’s color ranges from brown to black. As fleas are flightless insects, they jump from one place to another. They mostly rely on dogs and cats, but they can bite humans as well. Flea bites can cause minor health issues to both humans and pets.
What Temperature Kills Fleas?
Fleas and their larvae did not remain alive outdoors in a hot and sunny climate. Soil temperature further then 95°F kills fleas larvae. But it’s not a good idea to create any hot environment like this in your home to kill them. Instead, you can tackle the fleas by trying the below homemade remedy.
How to Prevent Fleas?
Follow the below tips to prevent fleas infestation on your pets and home as well.
- Vacuum your house properly on a daily basis and clean its bags as well.
- Run flea combs regularly on your pets.
- Trim trees, shrubs, and mowed the grass in your yard.
- Wash your sheets and other linens.
- Use dehumidifiers as fleas live in warm and humid areas.
- Discourage the wild animals to enter in your lawn or yard, as they carry fleas with them.
- If you used to travel with your pet in the car, then clean the car as well.
- Wash the pet’s belongings on the hot water setting to remove fleas, eggs, and larvae.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas
Below are some homemade hacks that you can try on your own to fight against fleas.
1. DIY Fleas Remover Lemon Bath
This method is a great way to kill the existing fleas of your pet before using the above flea prevention hacks.
- 1/2 Cup of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups of Water
- A Squeeze of Pet-friendly Shampoo
- Old Empty Shampoo Bottle
- Pet Brush (Soft Bristled)
- Small Funnel
- Combine 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice, 2 cups of water, and a squeeze of pet-friendly shampoo into a bowl.
- Empty this liquid into an old shampoo bottle using the small funnel.
- Now, apply it all over the pet’s body, using your hands, and simultaneously run the brush to create a lather. This will exfoliate your pet’s skin. Leave it for 3-5 minutes.
- After that, wash your pet with lukewarm water and towel dry as well.
2. DIY Fleas Repellent Spray for Home
Enriched with the goodness of vinegar and essential oils, this all-natural homemade spray repels fleas from your home.
- 8 Fluid Ounces of Warm Water
- 8 fluid Ounces of White Vinegar
- 5 Drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 5 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Table Salt
- 5 Drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- Mixing Bowl
- Pour warm water, white vinegar, table salt, rosemary, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oils into a mixing bowl and stir them well.
- Now, empty the mixture into a spray bottle and shake it well.
- Spritz this solution on the upholstered furniture, bedding, and carpets.
- Apply this liquid once in a day for three weeks to see the results.
- After using the lemon bath hack, you can run a flea comb to remove all the dead fleas and their eggs.
- Avoid the above remedy, if your pet has open cuts and sores.
- If your pet has a severe fleas’ infestation, then it’s highly recommended to consult with the vet for better treatment.
The above article is enough to let you understand everything about the fleas. Besides, ammonia is a potent remedy to get rid of fleas from the pet’s bed blanket and beds! Enjoy & Stay safe!