Learn how to use Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide for Toenail Fungus and some effective Home Remedies to cure it!
If you are unsure about using Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide for Toenail Fungus, head on to this informative guide to sort out your doubts!
Toenail fungus, alias onychomycosis, is a condition that makes your toenails discolored. It happens when fungi or yeast gets in between the toenail and its bed via a cut or any injury in the nail or surrounding skin. This condition makes your toenail look ugly and induces pain as well.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
People having toenail fungus will experience the following symptoms:
- Infected nails, usually thicker than normal
- Discolored nails
- Nails become brittle, crumbly, or ragged
- Toenails get separated from the nail bed
- Nails emit a foul odor
- Distorted nails
- White or yellow streaks on nails
Who Is Likely to Get Toenail Fungus?
Older adults are prone to toenail fungus compared to adolescents. Below are some major reasons that raise the odds of getting onychomycosis:
- Nail trauma
- Weak immune system
- Blood circulation issue
- Athlete’s foot
- Family history of fungal infection
- Spending a lot of time in the water
- Working in a humid or moist environment
If you are wondering, Can Hydrogen Peroxide Kill Toenail Fungus? Let us tell you. When combined with baking soda, their potency goes to a whole new level. This is all possible because of their strong antifungal and microbicidal activity against fungi and yeasts. To eliminate onychomycosis naturally, try the below method. You’ll also learn how often to use hydrogen peroxide on toenail fungus!
- 1/2 Cup of Baking Soda
- 1 Cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- 3 Cups of Lukewarm Water
- Plastic tub
- Tissue Paper
- Combine 1/2 cup of sodium bicarbonate, 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, and 3 cups of lukewarm water in a plastic tub.
- Next, soak toe in hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes allowing the solution to do its work.
- Once you’re done, dry your nails with a tissue and discard it afterward.
- After that, wash the nails with soapy water and dry them using a tissue or cloth.
- Repeat this remedy once a day until the toenail fungus is gone.
Other Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
Besides baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, you can also try the below natural Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus.
- Vicks VapoRub – According to this scientific study, Vicks vaporub is a cheap and go-to product to treat toenail fungus because of its constituents, namely camphor and eucalyptus. Read the detailed remedy here.
- Essential Oils – Ditch the traditional treatments and try essential oils to eliminate toenail fungus naturally. Essential oils of oregano, thyme, clove, tea tree, and lemongrass are recommended for onychomycosis.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, don’t rely on home remedies, as they can cause irritation, rashes, burning sensations, and adverse reactions. People having severe toenail fungus must consult a doctor for further treatment.
Toenail Fungus Prevention Tips
Now that you know how to use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on toenail fungus, it is important to follow certain prevention tips to avoid this painful condition in the first place:
- Wash your toes with soapy water and dry them with a soft cloth regularly.
- Use shower sandals while visiting gyms, public showers, spas, and near swimming pools.
- Instruct your salon to use sanitized and sterilized nail styling tools.
- If your nails are prone to toenail fungus, always wear socks that breathe and absorb or draw off the moisture.
- Refrain from using damp shoes and socks.
- Make sure to wear breathable and comfortable shoes.
- Don’t share your shoes and socks with anyone.
- Sanitize your nail trimmer before its every usage.
When to See a Doctor?
People with diabetes and depleted immune systems seek medical attention immediately and avoid using the above remedies. If onychomycosis doesn’t respond to the in-home treatments and hydrogen peroxide toenail fungus remedy positively or complications arise, consulting a doctor is highly recommended.