Rabbits are adorable, but they are infamous for destroying gardens and landscapes. Learn Homemade Rabbit-repellent Recipes to keep them away!
If your garden is targeted by bunnies more often, no worries; we have compiled some Homemade Rabbit Repellent Recipes to help you out.
Find out do mothballs keep rabbits away here
What Are Rabbits?
With more than 30 species all around the globe, rabbits are long-eared little creatures with short hairy tails, whiskers, and long hind legs. Besides being adorable, wild bunnies are a serious nuisance to garden owners as they prefer munching peas, berries, lettuce, pansy, petunia, clematis, sunflowers, and almost all types of vegetation. That’s why it becomes necessary to take measures to keep them far away from the vegetation.
Homemade Rabbit Repellent Recipes
Below are some homemade rabbit-repellent recipes that are effective, inexpensive, chemical-free, and safe to use on plants.
#1 Natural Rabbit Repellent Recipe
Thanks to cayenne pepper and garlic cloves’ characteristic spicy aroma, this homemade solution deters bunnies in no time.
- 1 Tsp of Powdered Cayenne Pepper
- 5-8 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- Lukewarm Water
- 1 Tbsp of Dawn Dish Soap
- 1 Gallon Empty Container
- Garden Sprayer
- Fill an empty container with 1/2 gallon water, 5-8 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, and 1 tbsp of dawn dish soap.
- Shake the container and leave it under the sunlight for two days, allowing the ingredients to mix well with water.
- Once it’s done, strain the solution using a strainer before transferring it into a garden sprayer.
- Spritz the liquid on and around the plants to keep the bunnies at bay.
- Reapply every five days to maintain its effectiveness.
This home remedy deters bunnies quickly because of the pungent and disagreeable odor of garlic oil that bunnies find repulsive. It’s one of the best homemade rabbit repellent recipes.
- 1 Tsp of Garlic Oil
- 1/4 Tsp of Dish Detergent
- A Cup of Water
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- A Bowl
- Mix garlic oil, dish detergent, and lukewarm water into a bowl.
- Next, transfer the mix into an empty spray bottle using a funnel.
- Make sure to shake the bottle well before its every usage.
- Spritz the solution over the plants which are targeted by the bunnies.
- Reapply this liquid daily to dissuade bunnies.
Irish spring soap is an inexpensive and rainproof deterrent that works quite well against pesky bunnies, thanks to its unpleasant stench. It’s the best Irish spring garden hack.
- One Irish Spring Soap Bar
- Small Fabric Drawstring Pouches
- Wooden Stakes (12x1x1 inches or similar)
- A Bowl
- Staple Gun
- A Knife
- Grab an Irish spring soap bar and shave it into small cubes using a knife.
- Fill each fabric drawstring pouch with soap chunks and close them properly.
- Next, place these pouches under and around the plants.
- Alternatively, you can attach a pouch to the end of each wooden stake with a staple gun.
- Bury the stakes 6 inches deep around the vegetation where bunnies attack the most.
#4 DIY Rabbit Repellent Recipe
Here is another natural repellent for rabbits that works due to the pungent fragrance of onions, hot peppers, and garlic.
- 2-3 Hot Peppers
- 2-3 Large Onions
- A Handful of Garlic Cloves
- 5-10 Drops of Dawn Dish Soap
- 2 Cups of Water
- Cooking Pot
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Put hot peppers, onions, and garlic cloves in a grinder. Grind for a few minutes.
- Next, transfer the mixture, dish soap, and two cups of water into a cooking pot. Boil the solution for 3-5 minutes.
- After that, strain and empty the prepared solution in the spray bottle.
- Spread the liquid around the garden and yard when needed.
#5. DIY Homemade Rabbit Repellent Recipe
If you’re looking for an easy, inexpensive, and natural rabbit deterrent, this recipe is for you.
- 4-5 Tablespoons of Tabasco Sauce
- 3-5 drops of Liquid Dish Soap
- 2 Cups of Water
- Spray Bottle
- Grab all the required supplies.
- Then, add the tabasco sauce, liquid dish soap, and water to a clean spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle for a moment, and your bunny deterrent is ready.
- Spray the repellent solution around the plants, trees, and fence.
#6. Bone Meal Rabbits Deterrent Recipe
As bunnies find the scent of bone meal offensive, it’s an excellent home remedy against them. It’s one of the most effective homemade rabbit repellent recipes.
- Bone Meal
- Black Pepper (Optional)
- Get a package of bone meal from your local home improvement center or hardware store.
- Sprinkle it all around the garden to keep the bunnies far away.
- Use black pepper with the bone meal for double impact.
While using the above homemade rabbit repellent recipes, make sure to follow these precautions to avoid any mishaps.
- Instruct your kids and pets to stay far away from the treated area.
- Wear good quality hand gloves and a face mask.
- Reuse the cayenne pepper and garlic oil remedies immediately after heavy rainfall.
How to Keep Rabbits Out of the Garden?
Follow the below tips to keep bunnies out of your garden without any repellents.
- Make your garden rabbit-proof by installing chicken wire fencing – 4 feet high and 6-10 inches buried in the ground.
- Trim lawn grasses more often and fill in abandoned holes.
- Eliminate rocks, weeds, woodpiles, and other potential bunnies’ hiding places.
- Cover your flowerbeds with 1/4-inch hardware cloth.
Here are some tried and tested mosquito-repellent recipes