Stained or discolored nails are a nightmare and cause embarrassment. Make them white again with this article on how to whiten nails with vinegar below!
Being a culinary staple for ages, vinegar is an acetic acid that has many healing properties to offer. The word “vinegar” is originated from the french word ‘vin’ and ‘aigre,’ interpreted as “sour wine.” Vinegar is not only a popular household cleaning agent, but it also whitens stained or discolored nails pretty easily.
Before telling you the best way to whiten nails at home, it’s vital to understand what causes staining of nails in the first place.
What Causes Staining of Nails?
Some of the major causes that make your nails yellow and stained are:
- Wearing dark nail polish regularly
- A pesky fungal nail infection
- Underlying health issues such as diabetes and thyroid
How to Whiten Nails With Vinegar?
Nails stained due to the frequent use of nail polish can easily whiten using the below vinegar method. Thanks to white vinegar’s mild acidic property, it takes off stubborn nail stains and whitens them easily. However, if it happens due to any other reason, contacting your dermatologist is the last resort. Let’s find out how to whiten nails with vinegar below.
- A Cup of Lukewarm Water
- One Tbsp of White Distilled Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- A Medium-Sized Bowl
- Add a cup of lukewarm water into a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add one tbsp of white vinegar into the water and mix them well.
- Soak your stained nails into the prepared solution for 8-10 minutes.
- Once you’re done, wash your nails with slightly warm water and gently dry them with a towel.
- Apply moisturizing lotion to your hands and cuticle oil on the nails to prevent dryness.
- If your nails are still stained, then repeat the process multiple times.
If the above vinegar method is not fruitful to you, try out the below ways to naturally whiten nails.
- Lemon Juice & Baking Soda – Thanks to lemon’s acidic and baking soda’s mild abrasive properties, you can whiten your nails in no time. Mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsps of salt into a bowl to make a paste. Apply it on the nails using a cotton swab and leave it for 10 minutes. Scrub the nails with a toothbrush, and then clean them with soapy water.
- Baking Soda And Warm Water – Don’t have lemon juice handy, replace it with plain water. Just fill a bowl with equal parts of baking soda and slightly warm water to create a lump-free paste. Scrub the paste on the nails using a nail brush. Let it sit for half an hour, then rinse with gentle soap and water.
- Try Orange Peels – The exfoliating and mild bleaching properties of orange peels is responsible for its nail whitening effect. Grab some fresh orange peels and rub them on your fingernails or toenails for a few seconds. Try this method multiple times a day until your nails become white.
- Nails often reflect humans’ general state of health. If your nails are discolored, then you might have various health issues.
- For deep-set nail stains, redo the above treatments 2-3 times a week until they become white and bright.
- While using the vinegar hack, please don’t overdo it other than the recommended, as it makes your skin dry and irritated.
After reading the above article, you don’t have to visit a nail salon anymore. Changing your manicure habits is also an effective way to prevent nails from getting stained. Besides, if your toenail is infected from fungus, then this article is only for you. Enjoy!