Stained or discolored nails are a nightmare and cause embarrassment. Make them white with this article on How to Whiten Nails with Vinegar!
Being a culinary staple for ages, vinegar is an acetic acid that has many healing properties to offer. The word “vinegar” originated from the French word ‘vin’ and ‘aigre,’ interpreted as “sour wine.” Vinegar is not only a popular household cleaning agent, but it also whitens nail polish stained nails pretty easily.
Before telling you How to Whiten Nails with Vinegar, it’s vital to understand what makes the nails stained in the first place.
Learn how to clean dog paws with vinegar here
What Causes Staining of Nails?
Some of the major causes that make your nails yellow and stained are:
- Wearing dark nail polish regularly
- A pesky fungal nail infection
- Underlying health issues such as diabetes and thyroid
How to Whiten Nails With Vinegar?
Nails stained due to the frequent use of nail polish can easily whiten using the below vinegar method. Thanks to white vinegar’s mild acidic properties, it removes stubborn nail stains and whitens them easily. Let’s find out how to whiten fingernails and lighten dark toenails with vinegar below.
- A Cup of Lukewarm Water
- One Tbsp of White Distilled Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- A Medium-Sized Bowl
- Add a cup of lukewarm water to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, add one tbsp of white vinegar into the water and mix them well.
- Soak your stained nails in the prepared solution for 8-10 minutes.
- Once you’re done, wash your nails with tepid water and gently dry them with a towel.
- Apply moisturizing lotion to your hands and cuticle oil on the nails to prevent dryness.
- If your nails are still stained, then repeat the process multiple times.
Other Natural Ways to Whiten Nails
If the above vinegar method is not fruitful to you, try out the below ways to whiten nails naturally.
1. Lemon Juice & Baking Soda
Thanks to lemon’s acidic and baking soda’s mild abrasive properties, you can whiten your nails in no time. Mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsps salt into a bowl to make a paste. Apply it on the nails using a cotton swab and leave it for 10 minutes. Scrub the nails with a toothbrush, and then clean them with soapy water.
2. Baking Soda And Warm Water
Don’t have lemon juice handy. Replace it with plain water. Just fill a bowl with equal parts of baking soda and lukewarm water to create a lump-free paste. Scrub the paste on the nails using a nail brush. Let it sit for half an hour, then rinse with gentle soap and water.
3. Try Orange Peels
The exfoliating and mild bleaching properties of orange peels are responsible for their nail-whitening effect. Grab a handful of fresh orange peels and rub them on your fingernails or toenails for a few seconds. Try this method multiple times a day until your nails become white.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
Create a potent nail-whitening solution by mixing a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and 1/4 cup of tepid water in a glass bowl. Next, dip your fingertips in the bowl for 5-10 minutes. When the waiting period is over, clean your hands with soap and water.
5. Whitening Toothpaste
Whitening toothpaste is one of the easiest means to remove yellow stains from nails. Begin this hack by covering your nails with a fine layer of toothpaste. After waiting for 5-10 minutes, gently scrub your nails with a toothbrush. In the end, rinse your hands with tepid water.
- Nails often reflect humans’ general state of health. If your nails are discolored, then you might have various health issues.
- For deep-set nail stains, redo the above treatments 2-3 times a week until they become white and bright.
- While using the vinegar hack, please don’t overdo it other than the recommended to avoid dry and irritated skin.
- Make sure to apply cuticle oil after using the above hacks.
Learn how to use castor oil for nails here