What is sea moss? Can you take too much sea moss? Find out these answers in this short and informative article!
Sea moss is an edible spiny seaweed that is also recognized as Irish moss, Irish sea moss, Chondrus crispus, and carrageen moss. It’s commercially harvested for its usage in different health supplements, cosmetic products, and as a substitute for gelatin and other store-bought thickening agents. Besides, you can also consume sea moss raw and/or apply it topically.
This article illustrates sea moss’s nutritional values, benefits, results of overconsumption, and how to make its gel at home.
Powerhouse of Nutrients
Sea moss is an intimidating superfood loaded with anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antiviral qualities. It’s prevalent for its array of essential nutritional elements necessary for the human body to flourish and stay healthy. Furthermore, sea moss is low in fat, sugar, and calories and high in iodine.
100 gms of Chondrus crispus contains:
- Calories 49
- Total Carbs 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
- Trans Fatty Acids 0.0 g
- Omega-3 Fatty acids 47.0 mg
- Omega-6 Fatty acids 2.0 mg
- Protein 1.51 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamins and Minerals
- Iron 8.9 mg
- Calcium 72 mg
- Vitamin C 3.0 mg
- Vitamin E 0.87 mg
- Beta Carotene 71 µg
- Vitamin K 5.0 mcg
- Vitamin B6 0.069 mg
- Sodium 67 mg
- Vitamin RAE 6 µg
Can You Take Too Much Sea Moss?
As per a popular saying, ‘Too much of anything is bad,’ this also applies to Irish moss as well despite its magnitude of nutritional elements. Over-eating of sea moss can have detrimental effects on one’s health. When consumed in an ideal amount, i.e., 4 grams per day, you can reap its astounding health benefits without any issues. However, avoid its overconsumption at all costs as it causes iodine poisoning, which leads to hypothyroidism and goiter.
Health Benefits of Irish Moss
Add Chondrus crispus to your daily regime to gain the below-health advantages. However, don’t forget to consult your doctor regarding its intake.
- Packed with Antioxidants– Sea moss is a rich source of life-saving anti-oxidants, namely flavonoids, phenolic, and tannins.
- Supports Thyroid Health- As Chondrus crispus is high in iodine, its consumption alleviates thyroid-related issues. However, make sure not to overdo it.
- Natural Skin Moisturizer- Irish moss moisturizes dry and flaky skin easily, thanks to its essential fatty acids and other skin rejuvenating elements.
- Rich in Anti-inflammatory Properties- If you’re suffering from inflammation, use sea moss to get complete relief, as it’s rich in anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fades Wrinkles Appearance- To reduce wrinkles and prevent new ones from forming, apply the Irish moss gel on your skin regularly.
- Provides Relief from Eczema and Psoriasis- As per this authoritative source, sea moss is an ideal product to lessen the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis.
- Has Antimicrobial Activity- Sea moss displays strong antimicrobial activity against the disease-causing ‘Salmonella Enteritidis.’
- Induces Poop- As Chondrus crispus is a rich source of dietary fiber, it makes you poop by increasing and softening the stool.
- Help You Lose Weight- According to this source, sea moss helps in weight loss. It’s an excellent meal for a weight loss diet because it’s low in calories, fat, and carb.
How to Prepare Pure Homemade Sea Moss Gel?
First, wash a handful of dried Chondrus crispus with water. Then, submerge it into the water for 7-8 hours. Once it’s done, discard the water and blend it with a cup of water until you get a smooth paste. Empty it into an airtight jar and store it in a refrigerator overnight to solidify the mixture. After its usage, preserve the gel in a proper way using these tips.
How to Use Irish Moss?
To take most out of the Irish moss, intake its homemade gel solely or with tea, juice, soup, or ice cream. You can also apply its gel on your skin and hair as a mask. Its shelf life is 2-3 months in the freezer and merely a month in the refrigerator.
Well-known for its numerous uses and health benefits, Chondrus crispus is a boon when consumed appropriately. If you’re pregnant or lactating or have any underlying health condition, talk to your doctor before using this miraculous seaweed. Let us know your opinions and queries regarding this article by writing in the comment section.