Bed bugs are not only a serious nuisance but also cause skin problems as well. Learn how to use peppermint oil for bed bugs elimination and some prevention tips!
Bed bugs are tiny, egg-shaped parasitic arthropods that feast on human blood and homeothermic animals. A healthy adult female bed bug can yield up to 200-250 eggs in her lifespan. As bed bugs are 5-9 mm in size, they are good at hiding and can easily burrow inside the small crevices of furniture, mattresses, bedsteads, cushions, and headboards. Bed bugs don’t spread diseases, but their bite will cause significant problems. That’s why follow the below peppermint hack to keep them at bay.
What do Bed Bug Bites Look Like?
Bed bugs generally bite at night on the legs, neck, face, hands, and other body parts. Their bites look:
- Like a mosquito bite
- Tiny red bumps girded by blisters or hives
- Inflamed, itchy, red, or blistered skin
- Red bumps in lines or groups
- Swollen and red, with a dark spot in the center of each bite
- Papular eruptions
Where Bed Bugs Hide?
Bed bugs have flattened bodies, which lets them easily hide in the tiniest of spaces. Their common hiding places are mattresses, under loose wallpaper, bed frames, inside electrical receptacles, and headboards. However, over time they can be found anywhere in a house.
How to Identify Bed Bugs Infestation?
Inspect the below signs to know whether bed bugs infested your home or not.
- Presence of small blood spots on bed sheets and pillowcases.
- Reddish or reddish-brown spots of bed bugs feces on sheets, mattresses, bedclothes, walls, closets, books, electrical outlets, and telephones.
- White or clear skin shed by the nymphs on fabrics.
Peppermint Oil for Bed Bugs
The essence of the “Mentha balsamea Wild” plant, peppermint essential oil, not only repels bed bugs but also keeps mosquitoes, ants, and bees at bay as well. It contains two monoterpenoids: menthol and menthone, which gives peppermint oil its characteristic strong smell that irritates bed bugs. However, it’s a short-term remedy, as those annoying blood-sucking critters will be back when the essential oil fragrance dissipated.
Without any further ado, let’s find out about the peppermint oil hack to repel pesky bed bugs!
- 10-15 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1/2 Quart of Distilled or Plain Water
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- A Large-sized Bowl
- Combine 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil and 1/2 quart of distilled water into a bowl.
- Empty the mix into a fine-mist spray bottle using a small funnel and shake it well.
- Next, take your bed sheet, mattresses, pillow covers, curtains, and other bed bugs infested stuff outside and spritz the solution onto them thoroughly.
- Leave them under the direct sunlight for 4-5 hours to deter them for good.
- After that, wash the washable items in the washing machine on the highest setting possible.
- Don’t forget to spritz the mix on the couches, tables, and crevices of walls.
- Before using the prepared solution, do a spot test on an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn’t stain any surfaces.
- If you are facing a severe bed bug infestation, call the service professional for help.
- Guide your kids and pets to stay far away from the treated area, as exposure to peppermint oil causes several health issues.
- Don’t use the above solution on your skin for safety reasons. If you want to, then swap water with a suitable carrier oil. The proportion will be 5-10 drops of essential oil with an ounce of carrier oil.
Bed Bugs Prevention Tips
Read the below prevention tips to inhibit bed bug infestation in the first place.
- Eliminate piles of clutter from inside and outside of your home.
- Run vacuum on rugs, floor, and furniture on a daily basis.
- Make sure to store your clothing in sealed bags after washing.
- Install door sweeps on the bottom of the doors to halt their movements.
- Grab some protective covers for your box springs and mattresses to reduce bed bugs hiding spots.
- Wash your pet’s beddings daily in the washer on the highest setting possible.
- Close all the cracks, holes, and crevices around your home.
- Before purchasing old used furniture, inspect them carefully for bed bugs.
- Put your dried clothes in sealed bags if you are using shared laundry facilities.
After reading this article, you can keep the notorious bed bugs at bay easily and swiftly. If the above remedy is not fruitful to you, then give a shot to this quick hack. Enjoy!