Coconut oil is a household staple with a multitude of uses. But can you use Coconut Oil For Foot Fungus? Let’s find out!
As coconut oil is packed with potent anti-fungal fatty acids, it seems an ideal candidate for foot fungi. Learn how to use Coconut Oil for Foot Fungus and say goodbye to this painful condition.
Find out does Vicks kill toenail fungus here
What Is Foot Fungus?
Foot fungus is a fungal infection caused by harmful fungi that affect the skin and nails of the foot. Athlete’s foot and onychomycosis are the two most prevalent foot fungal infections. The athlete’s foot develops between the toes, while the latter affects the toenails. Both are contagious and can spread to other parts of the body.
Foot Fungus Symptoms
As you know, there are two common fungal infections, i.e., Athlete’s foot and onychomycosis. Both have different symptoms.
- Painful blisters on the foot
- Discolored and fragile toenails
- Itching, prickling, peeling, and scaly skin between the toes
- Dry and raw skin on the feet
Onychomycosis (Toenail Fungus)
- Nails become split, weak, distorted, and crumbly
- Discolored Toenails
- Infected toenails exude a foul odor
- Slightly lifted toenail
- White or yellow streak on the toenail
The following are common risk factors that increase the chance of foot fungus.
- Depleted immune system
- Living or working in a hot and humid environment
- Wearing excessively sweaty footwear
- Using poorly ventilated shoes
- Spending excessive time in the water
- Nail Injury
- Older age
Coconut Oil for Foot Fungus
Coconut oil eliminates foot fungus thanks to the anti-fungal properties of its antimicrobial lipids, caprylic acid, and lauric acid content. This oil works by breaking down the fungal membranes. If you have a fungal infection, learn how to use coconut oil for toenail fungus and athlete’s foot below.
What You’ll Need
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- A Bowl
- Cotton Balls
- Cotton Socks
- First, clean your problematic foot with anti-fungal soap and dry it properly.
- Pour enough amount of virgin coconut oil into a bowl.
- Next, spread oil over the foot fungus with a cotton ball.
- Once you’re done, put on cotton socks and go to bed.
- Repeat this in-home treatment daily until the foot fungus is gone.
Notes- Put on hand gloves before applying coconut oil on the feet. If you have very sensitive skin, avoid this quick hack.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Toenail Fungus?
Yes! Coconut oil is an amazing product to fight against toenail fungus because it eradicates the infection-causing candida species. Use coconut oil, as mentioned above, to get rid of onychomycosis.
Find out does betadine kill toenail fungus here
Can Coconut Oil Cure Athlete’s Foot?
According to this study, coconut oil is the go-to home remedy to treat mild cases of athlete’s foot. But for the severe ones, consulting a podiatrist is highly recommended.
Will thieves oil kill toenail fungus? Learn here
Is Coconut Oil Good for Your Feet?
Extracted from coconut palm fruit, coconut oil contains many nutritional elements and health benefits. Besides banishing fungal infections, coconut oil keeps the feet soft, smooth, and hydrated. Apply a few drops of coconut oil on your feet to reap its benefits.
Learn how to use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for toenail fungus here
How to Prevent Foot Fungus?
Along with the treatment of foot fungus, it’s vital to follow the below helpful tips to prevent their reoccurrence in the first place.
- Wash your feet regularly with anti-fungal soap and water.
- Always carry light, well-ventilated shoes and cotton socks.
- Avoid the use of sweaty socks and smelly shoes.
- Change your habit of sharing footwear with anyone.
- Use shower sandals while visiting wet public places.
- Always keep your feet clean and dry.
When to See a Physician?
It’s highly recommended to seek medical attention if the foot fungus doesn’t respond to the above home remedy or worsens. People experiencing diabetes and other skin-related conditions must consult a physician before using the above in-home treatment.
Note- Coconut oil is an excellent remedy to fight against mild to moderate foot fungus. For a severe one, contacting a healthcare provider is the last resort.
Learn how to use snakeroot extract for toenail fungus here