Being touted as a superfood, coconut oil is a household staple with numerous uses and benefits. But can you use coconut oil for foot fungus? Let’s find out!
Foot fungus is a fungal infection that happens due to harmful fungi organisms that affect the skin and nails of the foot, making the condition painful and unsightly. Athlete’s foot and onychomycosis are the two most prevalent foot fungal infections. The athlete’s foot usually develops between the toes, while the latter one affects toenails. They both are contagious and can spread to other parts of the body.
Foot Fungus Symptoms
As you know, there are two common fungal infections, i.e., Athlete’s foot and onychomycosis. Both have different symptoms.
- Painful blisters on the foot
- Discolored and fragile toenails
- Itching, prickling, peeling, and scaly skin between the toes
- Dry and raw skin on the feet
- Nails become split, weak, distorted, and crumbly
- Discolored Toenails
- Infected toenails exude a foul odor
- Toenail bed lifted slightly
- White or yellow streak on the toenail
Below are some common risk factors that increase the chances of getting foot fungus.
- Depleted immune system
- Living or working in a hot and humid environment
- Wearing excessive sweaty footwear
- Using poorly ventilated shoes
- Spending excessive time in the water
- Nail Injury
- Older age
Extracted from the coconut palm fruit, coconut oil (Cocos nucifera) is a popular superfood, all thanks to its immense nutritious content. It’s used in different home remedies because of its numerous health benefits. You can use coconut oil both topically and orally to reap its astounding advantages. With all such qualities, coconut oil is believed to be an ideal candidate to fight against pesky foot fungus. Try out the below coconut oil hack to get rid of foot fungus without using any commercial over-the-counter products.
What You’ll Need
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- A Bowl
- Cotton Balls
- Cotton Socks
- First, clean your problematic foot with anti-fungal soap and dry it properly.
- Pour enough amount of virgin coconut oil into a bowl.
- Next, spread the oil all over the foot fungus with a cotton ball.
- Once you’re done, put on cotton socks and go to bed.
- Repeat this in-home treatment daily until the foot fungus is gone.
- Put on hand gloves before beginning the above remedy to take care of foot fungus.
- If you have very sensitive skin, avoid this quick hack.
Why Is Coconut Oil Effective Against Foot Fungus?
Coconut oil is effective against foot fungus as it holds a higher amount of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial characteristics because of its richness in antimicrobial lipids, caprylic acid, and lauric acid content. It eliminates mild or superficial foot fungal infections by breaking down the fungal membranes. Furthermore, topical use of coconut oil prevents wrinkles and age spots.
Foot Fungus Prevention Tips
Along with the treatment of foot fungus, it’s vital to follow the below helpful tips to prevent their reoccurrence in the first place.
- Wash your feet regularly with anti-fungal soap and water.
- Always carry light, well-ventilated shoes and cotton socks.
- Avoid the use of sweaty socks and smelly shoes.
- Change your habit of sharing footwear with anyone.
- Use shower sandals while visiting wet public places.
- Always keep your feet clean and dry.
When to See a Physician?
It’s highly recommended to seek medical attention if the foot fungus doesn’t respond to the above home remedy or becomes worse. People experiencing diabetes and other skin-related conditions must consult a physician before using the above in-home treatment.
After reading this article, you’ll always carry a bottle of coconut oil with you. Coconut oil is an excellent remedy to fight against mild to moderate foot fungus. For a severe one, contacting a healthcare provider is the last resort. Besides, if you’re affected by Demodex mites, this article might be helpful.