Spoil your canine with these top DIY Cheap Dog Kennel Ideas! These projects are best to create a cozy haven for your best friend on a budget!
Are you ready to give your furry friend the ultimate retreat without splurging on a store-bought option? Look no further! We’ve compiled an irresistible collection of DIY Cheap Dog Kennel Ideas below. So grab your tools, and let’s get started on creating a cozy, budget-friendly shelter for your beloved canine!
Check out the best indoor dog house ideas here
DIY Cheap Dog Kennel Ideas
1. $50 Outside Cheap Large Dog Kennel
With just $50 and some basic woodworking skills, you can create a high-quality dog kennel for your furry companion. Watch this helpful video tutorial to learn about the construction process.
- Chicken Wire Mesh or Welded Wire Mesh
- Old Scrap Wood
2. Stylish Dog Kennel DIY
Here’s another of the best DIY cheap dog kennel ideas that give your best friend a place to call home. This kennel is enough to amp up the visual appeal of your outdoor space. You only need a few supplies and woodworking skills for this project. Follow this helpful tutorial for more info.
- Pine Wood
- Decking Boards
- Pine Screws
- Angle grinder
- Cordless drill
- Circular saw, Mitre saw, and Drop Saw
- Nail gun
- Paint and Paintbrush
3. DIY Easy Dog Kennel
Building this rustic-looking dog kennel is a great opportunity to bond with your pet and improve your woodworking skills. It also gives your furry friend a sheltered and cozy space year-round. Get the instructions here.
- Laminated Pine and Par Pine
- Pine Tongue & Groove
- Steel Angle Braces
- Galvanized Tin
- Dremel DSM20 or jigsaw
- Pocket hole jig
- Drill/Driver + bits
- Orbital Sander
4. DIY Cheap Triple Dog Kennel Ideas
If you have multiple canines, limited yard space, and a tight budget, this triple-dog kennel is an ideal option. With a little bit of creativity and some basic carpentry skills, you can create an amazing outdoor retreat for your dogs.
- Galvanized Metal Sheet
- Power Saw
5. DIY Outdoor Dog Kennel
Equipped with a removable roof, this robust dog kennel is a fun way to add pizzazz to your yard. You can customize this kennel’s design to fit your dog’s specific requirements. Get inspired by this article.
- Cordless Circular Saw, Cordless Jigsaw, and Cordless Multi-Tool
- Palm Router
- Hardwood Plywood Sheets, Timber, and OSB Board
- Wide Round Picket Fence
- Ear Defenders, Face Mask, and Eye goggles
- Waterproof wood glue
- External wood screws
6. Indoor Double Dog Kennel
Consider creating a double dog kennel that can also be used as a side table or TV stand. Not only does this save space, but it also adds a functional element to your home. See the details in this YouTube tutorial.
- Plywood Sheet
- Barrel Locks
- T-shaped Hinges
- Jaco Bean Stain
- Satin Polycrylic
7. Large Wood Pet Kennel End Table
Learn the steps to build your own wooden dog kennel with these free step-by-step woodworking plans. It’s one of the best DIY cheap dog kennel ideas.
- Plywood Sheet or MDF and Wooden Boards
- Hinges and Latches
- Pocket Hole Screws and Brad Nails
- Wood Glue
- Paint and Paintbrush
- Wood Filler
- Grit Sandpaper
- Primer and Wood Conditioner
8. Chic DIY Dog Crate Kennel
If you’re looking to build an awesome dog crate kennel, you’ve come to the right place. It’s a fantastic adoptiversary gift for your four-legged furry companion. Recreate this kennel using this tutorial.
- Wooden Boards
- Plastic Coated Wire Panel
- Corrugated Steel Panels
- Clear Polyurethane
- Wooden Adhesive
- Hinges, Handles, Magnetic Closures, and Casters
9. Cheap Outdoor Dog Kennel Idea
Give your pooch the royal treatment with this innovative kennel design crafted from plywood. Assemble it with ease and watch as your dog joyfully explores its new home. Follow this tutorial to build this wonderful doggy sanctuary.
- Circular saw, or Panel saw
- Builders trestle
- Square tool
- Tape measure
- Adhesive cartridge gun
10. Insulated A-Frame Doghouse for Under $75
Pamper your doggy with this $75 Insulated A-Frame Doghouse. With its insulation technology, this canine palace ensures your four-legged family member stays warm and dry in any weather. Read the details here.
- Roofing Nails
- Galvanized Common Nails or Screws
- Galvanized Finishing Nails
- Asphalt/fiberglass Shingles
- Drip Cap
- OSB Sheets
- Blue Insulating Foamboard
11. Ultra-Light Dog House
The goal of this project is to construct a functional dog house that is relatively light, inexpensive, and easy to build. In this project, the DIYer finds the materials in a local scrap yard to cut down the cost.
- Wooden Boards
- Metal Siding
- Self Tapping Wood screws
- Sheet Metal screws
- Heavy Rubber Mud Flap
- Brass Hinges
- Metal Cornering Drill
- Miter Saw
- Metal Cutter
- Metal Snips
12. DIY Wine Barrel Kennel
Why let a used wine barrel go to waste when you can repurpose it into an attractive kennel for your doggy? This DIY wine barrel kennel combines functionality and aesthetics, making it the perfect addition to your home decor.
- Old Wine Barrel
- Timer Cleaner
- Pressure Washer
Read the best wine barrel planter ideas here
13. Concrete Dog House DIY
Introducing the concrete dog house – a chic and sturdy haven for your beloved pooch! Expertly crafted from concrete, this masterpiece is built to last, offering a safe sanctuary for your four-legged companion. It’s a great alternative to the traditional wooden doghouses.
- Hardware Cloth or Chicken Wire Mesh
14. Cheap Indoor Dog Kennel
Perfect for little pups, this super cost-effective dog kennel is what you need to build this weekend. It’s a beginner-friendly project that requires no special tools or DIYing skills. Check out the detailed visual tutorial here.
- Cardboard Box
Find out the best cardboard cat house ideas here
15. Plywood Dog Kennel DIY
Follow these instructions and turn ordinary plywood into an extraordinary, personalized retreat for your beloved pet. This project is the perfect way to showcase your creativity, woodworking, and DIYing skills.
- Timber, OSB board, and Plywood
- Feather Edge Fence Boards
- UPVC Cladding Panels
- Self-tapping Wood Screws
- Drill and bits
- Carpenters square and Tape-measure
- Hammer and Handsaw
- Saw horses
- Lost-head Nails
16. Houdini Dog Kennel
In this instructables, the DIYer makes a custom Houdini dog kennel to address his dog’s separation anxiety and chewing habits. If you want to build one like this for your canine, check out this step-by-step article.
- Steel Rods
- Corner Hinges
- Stainless Steel Locking Latch
- Drop Latches
17. K9 Dog Kennel
Just like every ‘Time Lord’ needs a TARDIS, every dog deserves a fantastic abode. Give your canine a Doctor Who-inspired home by making this K9 dog kennel that is an excellent eye-catching piece.
- K9 Plans
- Scrap wood
- Solar light
- Wood Glue
- Decking stain
- Exterior Grade Wood Stain
18. Laundry Room Cabinet Turned into a Stylish Dog Kennel
Find out how to convert an old cabinet into a safe, hang-out, and sleeping spot for your dogs in this article. With a few modifications and add-ons, this dog kennel adds drama and character to the space.
- Laundry Room Cabinet
- Oscillating Multi-Tool
- Three-Panel Pet Gate
- Magnetic Drawer Latches
- Stainless Steel Flip Latch
Check out the best laundry room makeover ideas here
19. DIY Indoor Dog Kennel
Transform a corner of your home into a cozy sanctuary for your furry companion by building this indoor dog kennel. Follow this article to craft a dog kennel that fits seamlessly within your home.
- Chain Link Fence
- 2×4 Wood
- Nail Gun
- Washers and Screws
Safety Precautions to Consider
If you’ve decided to build a cozy shelter using the above DIY cheap dog kennel ideas, first read the below precautions.
- Wear protective gear: Always wear safety goggles, gloves, and sturdy footwear while handling tools and materials. A dust mask and ear protection are also recommended during cutting or drilling tasks.
- Use the right tools: Choose the appropriate tools for each task and ensure they’re in good working condition. Inspect tools for damage before use and replace any worn-out or damaged parts.
- Follow power tool safety guidelines: Read the user manual for each power tool and adhere to the safety guidelines. Unplug tools when not in use, and avoid wearing loose clothing or jewelry that could get caught in the machinery.
- Secure materials: Ensure that all materials are properly secured before cutting or drilling to prevent them from slipping or falling. Use clamps, vices, or other restraints as needed.
- Work in a well-lit and ventilated space: Proper lighting and ventilation are crucial for both safety and comfort. Set up your work area in a well-lit, spacious, and properly ventilated location.
- Plan your project: Before starting construction, create a detailed plan that outlines the necessary steps and materials. This will help you work more efficiently and prevent potential safety hazards.
- Don’t rush: Take your time and work at a steady pace. Rushing through tasks can lead to accidents or mistakes.
- Keep your work area clean and organized: Maintain a clutter-free workspace to minimize the risk of tripping or accidental injuries. Keep tools and materials organized and store them safely when not in use.
Read the best DIY dog feeding station ideas here