Stay tuned with this instructive article to learn how to bleach hair with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda at home, without any fuss!
Everyone wants to get a dramatic makeover without investing much time and effort. For that, hair bleaching is the easiest and most effective solution. Also known as hair lightening, hair bleaching is done to tone down your strands’ natural color. For this, every bleaching solution requires an alkaline substance that facilitates the lightening agent to react with the melanin present in the cortex by opening the hair shaft, resulting in desired lightened strands.
How to Bleach Hair With Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda?
The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and hydrogen peroxide are excellent, super-economical combo to make your hair 1-2 shades lighter at home, hassle-free. However, make sure to read the notes mentioned below before beginning the bleaching method.
- A Cup of Baking Soda
- Three Tbsps of Hydrogen Peroxide
- A Plastic or Ceramic Bowl
- Aluminum Foils
- Shower Cap
- Hand Gloves
- Small Plastic Spatula
- Bleach Brush
- First, wash your strands with herbal shampoo followed by a conditioner.
- Don’t apply any additional haircare products afterward, and let the hair dry naturally.
- Next, pour a cup of baking soda and three tbsps of hydrogen peroxide into a bowl. Mix the ingredients well with a spatula to make a paste that’s not too thick or too runny.
- Now, put on an old shirt or t-shirt and good quality rubber gloves.
- When your strands are damp, take a bleach brush and start applying the paste from the hair mid-shaft to ends or the bottom half of the hair length and wrap with foil.
- Never apply this paste on or nearby the scalp.
- After that, cover your head with a shower cap to speed up the bleaching process.
- Wait for 35-40 minutes, to allow the paste to do its work.
- Next, wash your hair with water, a mild shampoo, and conditioner.
- Let your strands air dry and then, apply coconut or argan oil.
- Make sure that the above paste doesn’t come into contact with your scalp as the hydrogen peroxide can cause some serious side effects.
- This home bleaching method is suitable for highlighting a few individual strands, but for complete hair treatment, it’s advisable to visit a salon.
- While using the above combo, make sure it won’t get into your eyes. If it happens, rinse your eyes with water and call a doctor afterward.
- Always use 3% hydrogen peroxide as its higher concentrations are harmful.
By trying the above hair lightening hack, you may get the following tones:
- Light brown hair becomes blond.
- Darker brown strands transform into golden brown.
- Black hair converts into dark or reddish-brown.
- Medium brown hair changes into light brown.
- Blond hair turns into lighter blond.
Both sodium bicarbonate and hydrogen peroxide have an important role in the hair lightening process. Baking soda is an alkaline substance that activates hydrogen peroxide and opens the hair shaft, letting the peroxide enter the cortex and break down the melanin, thereby lightening your strands.
How Often to Bleach Hair with Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda?
After bleaching your hair with sodium bicarbonate and hydrogen peroxide, if you didn’t get the desired look and feel, then wait at least 1-2 weeks for the next application. Using this hack more often can damage your hair badly.
After reading the above article, you don’t have to go to the salon for hair lightening anymore. However, getting bleach treatments from a licensed professional is highly recommended. Besides, check out this article to promote hair growth naturally at home.